Dynamic Effect of Change in Exchange Rate System -From the Fixed Exchange Rate Regime to the Basket-peg or Floating Regime
AbstractWe quantify dynamic effect of shifts of exchange rate system from the dollar-peg to the basket- peg or floating and obtain transition paths for the shifts, based on a dynamic small open-economy model. We find that a small open country will be better off shifting to the basket-peg or floating regime than maintaining the dollar-peg regime with capital control, in the long-run. Furthermore, because of welfare costs associated with volatility in nominal interest rates, the longer the transition period, the more benefits a country gains from shifting suddenly to the basket-peg from the dollar- peg regime rather than proceeding gradually. Thidly, focusing on sudden shifts to desired regimes, welfare gain of the country is higher under a shift to the basket-peg if the exchagne rate fluctuates remarkably. Lastly, concerning with shifting to the managed floating, it is less attractive to adopt compared with shifting to the basket-peg as intervening to maintain the exchange rate for certain periods leads to higher losses as the authority lacks monetary policy autonomy..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program in its series Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series with number 2011-026.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-15-45, Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8345
Web page: http://ies.keio.ac.jp/old_project/old/gcoe-econbus/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Takatoshi Ito & Eiji Ogawa & Yuri Nagataki Sasaki, 1999.
"How Did the Dollar Peg Fail in Asia?,"
NBER Working Papers
6729, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Ogawa, Eiji & Sasaki, Yuri Nagataki, 1998. "How Did the Dollar Peg Fail in Asia?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 256-304, December.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007.
"The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation,"
112007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," NBER Working Papers 12850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1918, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Ito, Takatoshi, 2002.
"On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 317-334, September.
- Eiji Ogawa & Takatoshi Ito, 2000. "On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement," NBER Working Papers 8002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yoshino, Naoyuki & Kaji, Sahoko & Suzuki, Ayako, 2004. "The basket-peg, dollar-peg, and floating: A comparative analysis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 183-217, June.
- Naoyuki Yoshino & Sahoko Kaji & Yoko Ibuka, 2003. "The Stabilization of an Open Economy with Capital Controls: An Analysis Using Malaysian Data," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 2(3), pages 63-83.
- ChangJin Kim & Jong-Wha Lee, 2008. "Exchange Rate Regime And Monetary Policy Independence In East Asia," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 155-170, 05.
- Graham Bird & Ramkishen Rajan, 2002. "Optimal currency baskets and the third currency phenomenon: exchange rate policy in Southeast Asia," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(8), pages 1053-1073.
- McKibbin, Warwick & Marin, Will, 1999.
"The East Asian crisis : investigating causes and policy responses,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2172, The World Bank.
- Warwick J McKibbin & Will Martin, 1998. "The East Asian Crisis: Investigating Causes and Policy Responses," Departmental Working Papers 1998-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Shioji, Etsuro, 2006. "Invoicing currency and the optimal basket peg for East Asia: Analysis using a new open economy macroeconomic model," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 569-589, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Global COE Program Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.