The optimal currency basket under vertical trade
AbstractThis paper explores the theory of optimal currency basket in a small open economy general equilibrium model with sticky prices. In contrast to existing literature, we focus on an economy with vertical trade, where the currencies in the basket may play different roles in invoicing trade flow. In a simple two-currency basket, one currency is used to invoice imported intermediate goods and is called “import currency”, while the other currency is used to invoice exported finished goods and is called “export currency”. We find that the optimal weights of the import currency and the export currency depends critically on the structure of vertical trade. Moreover, if a country decides to choose a single-currency peg, the choice of pegging currency also depends on how other competing economies respond to external exchange rate fluctuations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Money and Finance.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443
Vertical trade; Import currency; Export currency; Currency basket peg; Welfare;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shioji, Etsuro, 2006. "Invoicing currency and the optimal basket peg for East Asia: Analysis using a new open economy macroeconomic model," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 569-589, December.
- Slavi T. Slavov, 2005. "Should small open economies in East Asia put all their eggs in one basket: the role of balance sheet effects," International Finance 0501001, EconWPA.
- Nathalie AMINIAN & K. C. FUNG & IIZAKA Hitomi, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment, Intra-Regional Trade and Production Sharing in East Asia," Discussion papers 07064, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Amador, João & Cabral, Sónia, 2008.
"Vertical specialization across the world: a relative measure,"
9618, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amador, João & Cabral, Sónia, 2009. "Vertical specialization across the world: A relative measure," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 267-280, December.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral, 2008. "Vertical Specialization Across the World: A Relative Measure," Working Papers w200810, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Kang Shi & Juanyi Xu, 2007. "Optimal Monetary Policy with Vertical Production and Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 514-537, 08.
- David Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- Cook, David & Devereux, Michael B, 2004.
"External Currency Pricing and the East Asian Crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4642, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cook, David & Devereux, Michael B., 2006. "External currency pricing and the East Asian crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 37-63, June.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004.
"Solving dynamic general equilibrium models using a second-order approximation to the policy function,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 755-775, January.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," Departmental Working Papers 200106, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," NBER Technical Working Papers 0282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2002. "China in the International Segmentation of Production Processes," Working Papers 2002-02, CEPII research center.
- Shi, Kang & Xu, Juanyi, 2010. "Twin dollarization and exchange rate policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 109-121, May.
- Devereux, Michael B & Lane, Philip R., 2001.
"Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2874, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip R. Lane & Juanyi Xu, 2006. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 478-506, 04.
- Philip R. Lane & Michael B. Devereux,Juanyi Xu, 2005. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp036, IIIS.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip Lane, 2001. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Trinity Economics Papers 200111, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip R. Lane, 2000. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Working Papers 072000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael B. Devereux & Philip Lane, 2001. "Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies," CEG Working Papers 20017, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Emanuele Breda & Rita Cappariello & Roberta Zizza, 2008.
"Vertical specialisation in Europe: Evidence from the import content of exports,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
682, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Emanuele Breda & Rita Cappariello & Roberta Zizza, 2007. "Vertical Specialisation in Europe: Evidence from the Import Content of Exports," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(3), pages 189, May-June.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1982. "A determination of the optimal currency basket : A macroeconomic analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 333-354, May.
- Eva Ortega & Nooman Rebei, 2006. "The Welfare Implications of Inflation versus Price-Level Targeting in a Two-Sector, Small Open Economy," Working Papers 06-12, Bank of Canada.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000.
"Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?,"
96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003. "Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Lemoine, Francoise & Unal-Kesenci, Deniz, 2004. "Assembly Trade and Technology Transfer: The Case of China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 829-850, May.
- June Flanders, M. & Tishler, Asher, 1981. "The role of elasticity optimism in choosing an optimal currency basket with applications to Israel," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 395-406, August.
- David Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2001. "Trade and production fragmentation : Central European economies in European Union networks of production and marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2611, The World Bank.
- Yoshino, Naoyuki & Kaji, Sahoko & Suzuki, Ayako, 2004. "The basket-peg, dollar-peg, and floating: A comparative analysis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 183-217, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.