Optimal Monetary Policy with Vertical Production and Trade
AbstractThis paper explores the optimal monetary policy response to domestic and foreign technology shocks in an open economy with vertical structure of production and trade. We find that any stage-specific productivity shock in one country may have a transborder spillover effect on the other country via the vertical trade. So when choosing optimal monetary rules, each monetary authority should respond to both home and foreign productivity shocks. Also, the flexible exchange rate cannot replicate the flexible price equilibrium, even under producer currency pricing, due to price stickiness in multiple stages. We also find that the existence of a transborder spillover effect depends on the currencies of price setting. Finally, vertical trade may affect the value of exchange rate flexibility under PCP and LCP setting. Copyright � 2007 The Authors; Journal compilation � 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chan Wang & Heng-fu Zou, 2013. "Optimal monetary policy in open economies: the role of reference currency in vertical production and trade," CEMA Working Papers, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics 586, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Chu, Hsiao-Lei, 2012. "Monetary policy of a small open economy in the world production chain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2751-2755.
- Xu, Juanyi, 2011. "The optimal currency basket under vertical trade," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1323-1340.
- Kang Shi & Juanyi Xu, 2008. "The Optimal Currency Basket with Input Currency and Output Currency," Working Papers, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research 172008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Ke Pang & Yao Tang, 2014. "Vertical Trade, Exchange Rate Pass-Through, and the Exchange Rate Regime," Open Economies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 477-520, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.