How Cropland Contract Type And Term Decisions Are Made: Evidence From An Arkansas Tenant Survey
AbstractThis study examines land contract decision-making with the use of an eastern Arkansas data set. Estimated probit models used to test contract choice hypotheses support a credit constraint hypothesis, indicating that contract choice is based on: 1) the tenant's financial position and operating expense levels, 2) the size of the operation; 3) alternative uses of agricultural land; and 4) the supply of contracted land. Results indicate limited support for the agency problem hypothesis and reject the risk aversion and farmers managerial ability hypotheses. Regression equations used to select lease term hypotheses indicate that cash rent levels are sensitive to land quality, supply of contract acres, irrigation, and crop produced. Tenant shares of the crop and variable costs are less sensitive to land quality than cash rents. Other variables that influence tenant shares of the crop and variable costs include tenant/landlord social capital, the supply of contracted acres, and crop selection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 02 (1999)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Adams & Philip Hardwick, 1998. "Determinants of the leasing decision in United Kingdom listed companies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 487-494.
- Allen, Douglas & Lueck, Dean, 1992. "Contract Choice in Modern Agriculture: Cash Rent versus Cropshare," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 397-426, October.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- D.J. Brown & J.H. Atkinson, 1981. "Cash and Share Renting: An Empirical Test of the Link Between Entrepreneurial Ability and Contractual Choice," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 296-299, Spring.
- John R. Graham & Michael L. Lemmon & James S. Schallheim, 1998. "Debt, Leases, Taxes, and the Endogeneity of Corporate Tax Status," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 131-162, 02.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Hayami, Yujiro, 1988. "Theories of Share Tenancy: A Critical Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(1), pages 31-68, October.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2009. "Determinants of Agricultural Cash Rents in Germany: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for Farm-Level Data," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51685, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Du, Xiaoxue & Lu, Liang & Zilberman, David, 2013. "The Economics of Contract Farming: A Credit and Investment Perspective," 2014 Allied Social Science Association (ASSA) Annual Meeting, January 3-5, 2014, Philadelphia, PA 161657, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Størdal, Ståle & Lien, Gudbrand & Baardsen, Sjur, 2008. "Analyzing determinants of forest owners' decision-making using a sample selection framework," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 159-176, June.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2008. "Determinants of agricultural cash rents in Germany: A spatial econometric analysis for farm-level data," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44462, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Barry, Peter J. & Escalante, Cesar L. & Moss, Leeann E., 2002. "Rental Premiums For Share Versus Cash Leases," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19684, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rainey, Ronald L. & Dixon, Bruce L. & Ahrendsen, Bruce L. & Parsch, Lucas D. & Bierlen, Ralph W., 2001. "Contract Choice Selection With Land-Leasing Agreements," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20644, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rainey, Ronald L. & Dixon, Bruce L. & Ahrendsen, Bruce L. & Parsch, Lucas D. & Bierlen, Ralph W., 2005. "Arkansas Landlord Selection of Land-Leasing Contract Type and Terms," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(01).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.