Determinants of Agricultural Cash Rents in Germany: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for Farm-Level Data
AbstractThis article analyses determinants for 2001 farmland rental prices from 4376 farms in Germany. We derive our regression equation from a spatial reaction function to allow for spatial transmission of rental prices. Results from a general spatial model show that a € 1 per hectare higher rental price in a farmer’s neighbourhood coincides with a € 0.57 higher rental price he has to pay. For policy evaluation we estimate the marginal incidence of regional EU per-hectare premiums. We find a value significantly above one and propose an explanation for this counterintuitive result based on the long-running nature of rental contracts, simultaneity of premium introduction and intervention price cuts as well as assumed stickiness of rental prices. Regional livestock density, which is indirectly influenced by different policies, is also a major determinant of rental prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China with number 51685.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
farmland rental price; per-hectare premium; spatial econometrics; subsidy incidence; Farm Management; Land Economics/Use; Political Economy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," Staff General Research Papers 10788, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Sergio H. Lence & Ashok K. Mishra, 2003.
"The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 753-761.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003. "The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents," Staff General Research Papers 11470, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barrett E. Kirwan, 2009.
"The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 138-164, 02.
- Kirwan, Barrett E., 2008. "The Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates," Working Papers 42714, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Michael J. Roberts & Barrett Kirwan & Jeffrey Hopkins, 2003. "The Incidence of Government Program Payments on Agricultural Land Rents: The Challenges of Identification," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 762-769.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "Occupational Migration out of Agriculture-A Cross-Country Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(3), pages 392-98, August.
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008. "Study on the Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States under the Influence of Measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Patton, Myles & Kostov, Philip & McErlean, Seamus & Moss, Joan, 2008. "Assessing the influence of direct payments on the rental value of agricultural land," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 397-405, October.
- Alfons Weersink & Steve Clark & Calum G. Turvey & Rakhal Sarker, 1999. "The Effect of Agricultural Policy on Farmland Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-439.
- Kilian, Stefan & Salhofer, Klaus, 2008. "Single Payments of the CAP: Where Do the Rents Go?," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Space and Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-129/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Fuchs, Clemens, 2002. "The Influence of Per-hectare Premiums on Prices for Rented Agricultural Area and on Agricultural Land Prices," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 51(8).
- Bierlen, Ralph W. & Parsch, Lucas D. & Dixon, Bruce L., 1999. "How Cropland Contract Type And Term Decisions Are Made: Evidence From An Arkansas Tenant Survey," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(01).
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2010. "Einfluss Der Biogaserzeugung Auf Landwirtschaftliche Pachtpreise In Deutschland," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93937, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.