The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage
AbstractThe impact of recent changes to the U.S. commodity program and efficacy of environmental regulations designed to discourage continuous corn rotations will depend upon the value farmers place on corn base acreage. This paper estimates that value by assuming that the benefits of access to the program are capitalized into farmland rents. Using Iowa rental survey data and a hedonic pricing approach, the rent gradient for base acreage is found to be on the order of $12 per acre. The discounted stream of returns to base acreage suggests an asset value for corn base of approximately $200 per acre.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10788.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, January 1992, vol. 74 no. 2, pp. 50-58
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giuliani, Gianluca & Rieder, Peter, 2003. "Landwirtschaftlicher Bodenmarkt - Dominanz der nicht-landwirtschaftlichen uber die landwirtschaftlichen Faktoren?," Agrarwirtschaft und Agrarsoziologie/ Economie et Sociologie Rurales, Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, issue 1.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2009. "Determinants of Agricultural Cash Rents in Germany: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for Farm-Level Data," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51685, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Henderson, Jason R. & Gloy, Brent A., 2008. "The Impact of Ethanol Plants on Cropland Values in the Great Plains," Working Papers 51080, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Henderson, Jason R. & Moore, Sean, 2006. "The Capitalization of Wildlife Recreation Income into Farmland Values," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Forster, D. Lynn, 2006. "An Overview of U.S. Farm Real Estate Markets," Working Papers 28319, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Jason Henderson & Sean Moore, 2005. "The impact of wildlife recreation on farmland values," Research Working Paper RWP 05-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Christopher Zakrzewicz & B. Wade Brorsen & Brian C. Briggeman, 2012.
"Comparison of alternative sources of farmland values,"
Agricultural Finance Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 68-86, March.
- Zakrzewicz, Christopher J. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Briggeman, Brian C., 2011. "Comparison of Alternative Sources of Farmland Values," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103758, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Drescher, Klaus & Henderson, Jason R. & McNamara, Kevin T., 2001. "Farmland Price Determinants," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20685, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Roger Claassen & Richard Horan, 2001. "Uniform and Non-Uniform Second-Best Input Taxes," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Sahrbacher, Amanda, 2012. "Impacts of CAP reforms on farm structures and performance disparities: An agent-based approach," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 65, number 65.
- Henderson, Jason R. & Gloy, Brent A., 2008. "The Impact of Ethanol Plants on Land Values in the Great Plains," Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri 48148, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Jason Henderson & Brent A. Gloy, 2008. "The impact of ethanol plants on cropland values in the Great Plains," Regional Research Working Paper RRWP 08-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Duffy, Patricia A. & Taylor, C. Robert, 1994. "The Effects Of Increasing Flex Acres On Farm Planning And Profitability," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.