Study on the Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States under the Influence of Measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy
AbstractEconomic theory, as well as empirical findings, suggest that the way in which agricultural support is provided has an influence on land markets, because payments capitalise to some degree into land values, affecting both the sale and rental price of land. The present paper analyses how the income distributional effects and farm restructuring are impacted by the SPS by accounting for entitlement tradability, cross-compliance requirements, different SPS implementation models, and the entitlement stock. Our results suggest that the SPS implication details are highly important: farmers’ benefits can range from 100% of the SPS value to a negative policy incidence, and farm structural change may be hindered by the SPS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels in its series EERI Research Paper Series with number EERI_RP_2008_04.
Date of creation: 04 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Decoupled subsidies; capitalisation; land market; income distributional effects; SPS; structural change.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- P32 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Collectives; Communes; Agricultural Institutions
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2008-10-28 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2008-10-28 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Motty Perry & Philip J. Reny, 2005. "An Efficient Multi-Unit Ascending Auction," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 567-592.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel, 2004. "An Efficient Ascending-Bid Auction for Multiple Objects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1452-1475, December.
- Sahrbacher, Amanda, 2012. "Impacts of CAP reforms on farm structures and performance disparities: An agent-based approach," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 65, number 65.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2009. "Determinants of Agricultural Cash Rents in Germany: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for Farm-Level Data," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51685, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kilian, Stefan & Salhofer, Klaus, 2009. "Entkoppelte PrÃ¤mien, Bodenpreise und WettbewerbsfÃ¤higkeit," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(3).
- Takacs-Gyorgy, Katalin & Erdelyi, Tamas & Sadowski, Adam, 2011. "Land Use and Property Changes in Poland and in Hungary After EU Accession," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116338, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Steven Van Passel & Emanuele Massetti & Robert Mendelsohn, 2012. "A Ricardian Analysis of the Impact of Climate Change on European Agriculture," Working Papers 2012.83, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Frédéric Courleux, 2011. "Augmentation de la part des terres agricoles en location : échec ou réussite de la politique foncière ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 444(1), pages 39-53.
- Feichtinger, Paul & Salhofer, Klaus, 2013. "The Influence of the Common Agricultural Policy and Heterogeneous Land Quality on Land Rent and Land Allocation," Factor Markets Working Papers 149, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Viaggi, Davide & Bartolini, Fabio & Raggi, Meri & Sardonini, Laura, 2010. "The role of the Common Agricultural Policy in the spatial location of agricultural activities," 116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy 95242, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Breustedt, Gunnar & Habermann, Hendrik, 2010. "Einfluss Der Biogaserzeugung Auf Landwirtschaftliche Pachtpreise In Deutschland," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93937, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sahrbacher, Christoph, 2011. "Regional structural change in European agriculture: Effects of decoupling and EU accession," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 60, number 60.
- Cechura, Lukas & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2011. "Efficiency and Heterogeneity in Czech Food Processing Industry," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114314, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.