The Effects of Transaction Costs on Labor Market Participation and Earnings: Evidence from Rural Philippine Markets
AbstractThe paper aims to measure transaction costs and its effects on labor market participation and on wage earnings. The observed differences between buying and sellin gprices of rice across households are used to calculate transaction costs indices for villages which are incorporated into the standard labor market participation and Mincer wage equations. The estimates indicate that transaction costs may be a source of the income differentials between (a) the landed and the landless, (b) the rural and the urban areas, and (c) the males and the females.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale - Economic Growth Center in its series Papers with number 790.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; YALE UNIVERSITY, ECONOMIC GROWTH CENTER, YALE STATION NEW-HAVEN CONNECTICUT 06520 U.S.A
Phone: (203) 432-3610
Fax: (203) 432-3898
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/~egcenter/
More information through EDIRC
LABOUR MARKET ; PHILIPPINES ; TRANSACTION COSTS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Evenson, Robert E. & Kimhi, Ayal & Desilva, Sanjaya, 2000.
"Supervision And Transaction Costs: Evidence From Rice Farms In Bicol, The Philippines,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21788, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Evenson, R.E. & Kimhi, A. & DeSilva, S., 2000. "Supervision and Transaction Costs: Evidence from Rice Farms in Bicol, the Philippines," Papers 814, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.