Measuring the economic inefficiency of Nepalese rice farms using data envelopment analysis
AbstractA data envelopment analysis of a sample of 76 Nepalese rice farmers reveals average relative economic, allocative, technical, pure technical and scale inefficiencies as 34, 13, 24, 18 and 7 per cent, respectively. The significant variations in the level of inefficiency across sample farms are attributed to the variations in the ‘use intensities’ of resources such as seed, labour, fertilisers and mechanical power. In addition, a second stage Tobit regression shows the variation is also related to farm‐specific attributes such as the farmers’ level of risk attitude, the farm manager's gender, age, education and family labour endowment. Based on the empirical findings, policy implications and development strategies for improving efficiency of Nepalese rice farms are briefly discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Shafiq, Muhammad & Rehman, Tahir, 2000. "The extent of resource use inefficiencies in cotton production in Pakistan's Punjab: an application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(3), April.
- Torkamani, Javad & Hardaker, J. Brian, 1996. "A study of economic efficiency of Iranian farmers in Ramjerd district: an application of stochastic programming," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 14(2), July.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Jirong Wang & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Shadow-Price Frontier Measurement of Profit Efficiency in Chinese Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 146-156.
- Xu, Xiaosong & Jeffrey, Scott R., 1998. "Efficiency and technical progress in traditional and modern agriculture: evidence from rice production in China," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(2), March.
- Abdul Wadud & Ben White, 2000. "Farm household efficiency in Bangladesh: a comparison of stochastic frontier and DEA methods," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1665-1673.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 2000. "Testing Restrictions in Nonparametric Efficiency Models," Papers 0013, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Tadesse, Bedassa & Krishnamoorthy, S., 1997. "Technical efficiency in paddy farms of Tamil Nadu: An analysis based on farm size and ecological zone," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 185-192, August.
- Watto, Muhammad Arif & Mugera, Amin William, 2013. "Measuring Groundwater Irrigation Efficiency in Pakistan: A DEA Approach Using the Sub-vector and Slack-based Models," Working Papers 144943, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
- Thibbotuwawa, Manoj & Mugera, Amin W. & White, Benedict, 2012. "A Non-Parametric Analysis of Rice Production Efficiency in Sri Lanka," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124423, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rios, Ana R. & Shively, Gerald E., 2005. "Farm size and nonparametric efficiency measurements for coffee farms in Vietnam," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19159, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hagos, Hosaena Ghebru & Holden, Stein, 2013.
"Efficiency and productivity differential effects of land certification program in Ethiopia : Quasi-experimental evidence from Tigray:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1295, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hagos, Hosaena Ghebru & Holden, Stein, 2014. "Efficiency and productivity differential effects of land certification program in Ethiopia: Quasi-experimental evidence from Tigray:," ESSP working papers 64, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Marijke & Buysse, Jeroen & D'Haese, Luc, 2008. "A measure for the efficiency of water use and its determinants, a case study of small-scale irrigation schemes in North-West Province, South Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 31-39, July.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Wen, Fang-I, 2008. "Off-farm Work, Technical Efficiency, and Production Risk: Empirical Evidence from a National Farmer Survey in Taiwan," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rios, Ana R. & Masters, William A. & Shively, Gerald E., 2008. "Linkages between Market Participation and Productivity: Results from a Multi-Country Farm Household Sample," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6145, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Udayanganie, A.D.D. & Prasada, Dickwella Vidanage Pahan & Kodithuwakku, K.A.S.S. & Weerahewa, Jeevika & Little, D.C., 2006. "Efficiency Of The Agrochemical Input Usage In The Paddy Farming Systems In The Dry Zone Of Sri Lanka," Annual Meeting, May 25-28, 2006, Montreal, Quebec 34181, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sana Sadaf & Khalid Riaz, 2012. "Does Access to Modern Marketing Channels Improve Dairy Enterprises’ Efficiency? A Case Study of Punjab, Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 17(1), pages 63-82, Jan-June.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
- Speelman, Stijn & Buysse, Jeroen & Frija, Aymen & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & D'Haese, Luc, 2008. "Estimating The Effect Of Water Charge Introduction At Small-Scale Irrigation Schemes In North West Province, South Africa," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6646, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Speelman, Stijn & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & Buysse, Jeroen & D'Haese, Luc, 2007. "Technical efficiency of water use and its determinants, study at efficiencies in small-scale irrigation schemes in North-West Province, South Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7904, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Watkins, K. Bradley & Hristovska, Tatjana & Mazzanti, Ralph & Wilson, Charles E., Jr., . "Measuring Technical, Allocative, and Economic Efficiency of Rice Production in Arkansas using Data Envelopment Analysis," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142962, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.