Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions
Covariance matrix estimation and principal component analysis (PCA) are two cornerstones of multivariate analysis. Classic textbook solutions perform poorly when the dimension of the data is of a magnitude similar to the sample size, or even larger. In such settings, there is a common remedy for both statistical problems: nonlinear shrinkage of the eigenvalues of the sample covariance matrix. The optimal nonlinear shrinkage formula depends on unknown population quantities and is thus not available. It is, however, possible to consistently estimate an oracle nonlinear shrinkage, which is motivated on asymptotic grounds. A key tool to this end is consistent estimation of the set of eigenvalues of the population covariance matrix (also known as the spectrum), an interesting and challenging problem in its own right. Extensive Monte Carlo simulations demonstrate that our methods have desirable finite-sample properties and outperform previous proposals.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanislav Anatolyev, 2009.
"Inference in Regression Models with Many Regressors,"
w0125, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Anatolyev, Stanislav, 2012. "Inference in regression models with many regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 368-382.
- Khan, Mozaffar, 2008. "Are accruals mispriced Evidence from tests of an Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 55-77, March.
- Connor, Gregory & Korajczyk, Robert A, 1993. " A Test for the Number of Factors in an Approximate Factor Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1263-91, September.
- Pedro Duarte Silva, A., 2011. "Two-group classification with high-dimensional correlated data: A factor model approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(11), pages 2975-2990, November.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2004.
"A well-conditioned estimator for large-dimensional covariance matrices,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-411, February.
- Wolf, Michael & Ledoit, Olivier, 2000. "A well conditioned estimator for large dimensional covariance matrices," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 10087, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Demetrescu, Matei & Hanck, Christoph, 2012. "A simple nonstationary-volatility robust panel unit root test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 10-13.
- Silverstein, J. W., 1995. "Strong Convergence of the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of Large Dimensional Random Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 331-339, November.
- Silverstein, J. W. & Bai, Z. D., 1995. "On the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of a Class of Large Dimensional Random Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 175-192, August.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Silverstein, J. W. & Choi, S. I., 1995. "Analysis of the Limiting Spectral Distribution of Large Dimensional Random Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 295-309, August.
- Theodoros Tsagaris & Ajay Jasra & Niall Adams, 2010. "Robust and Adaptive Algorithms for Online Portfolio Selection," Papers 1005.2979, arXiv.org.
- Theodoros Tsagaris & Ajay Jasra & Niall Adams, 2012. "Robust and adaptive algorithms for online portfolio selection," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(11), pages 1651-1662, November.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:econwp:105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.