Inference in regression models with many regressors
We investigate the behavior of various standard and modified F, likelihood ratio (LR), and Lagrange multiplier (LM) tests in linear homoskedastic regressions, adapting an alternative asymptotic framework in which the number of regressors and possibly restrictions grows proportionately to the sample size. When the restrictions are not numerous, the rescaled classical test statistics are asymptotically chi-squared, irrespective of whether there are many or few regressors. However, when the restrictions are numerous, standard asymptotic versions of classical tests are invalid. We propose and analyze asymptotically valid versions of the classical tests, including those that are robust to the numerosity of regressors and restrictions. The local power of all asymptotically valid tests under consideration turns out to be equal. The “exact” F test that appeals to critical values of the F distribution is also asymptotically valid and robust to the numerosity of regressors and restrictions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2000.
"A well conditioned estimator for large dimensional covariance matrices,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
10087, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2004. "A well-conditioned estimator for large-dimensional covariance matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-411, February.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2003. "Empirical likelihood estimation and consistent tests with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-93, November.
- Peter Sandholt Jensen & Allan H. Würtz, 2006. "On determining the importance of a regressor with small and undersized samples," Economics Working Papers 2006-08, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001.
"On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2001. "Some hypothesis tests for the covariance matrix when the dimension is large compared to the sample size," Economics Working Papers 575, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-81, May.
- Silverstein, J. W., 1995. "Strong Convergence of the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of Large Dimensional Random Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 331-339, November.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J., 1984. "Approximating the distributions of econometric estimators and test statistics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 881-935 Elsevier.
- Koenker, Roger & Machado, Jose A. F., 1999. "GMM inference when the number of moment conditions is large," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 327-344, December.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1982. "Conflict among the Criteria Revisited: The W, LR and LM Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 737-48, May.
- Trevor S. Breusch, 1986. "Hypothesis Testing in Unidentified Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 635-651.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin S, 1996. "Small-Sample Properties of GMM-Based Wald Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 294-308, July.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1977. "Conflict among Criteria for Testing Hypotheses in the Multivariate Linear Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1263-77, July.
- Hong, Yongmiao & White, Halbert, 1995. "Consistent Specification Testing via Nonparametric Series Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1133-59, September.
- John Galbraith & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2006. "Reduced-Dimension Control Regression," Departmental Working Papers 2006-17, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Gérard Letac & Hélène Massam, 2004. "All Invariant Moments of the Wishart Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(2), pages 295-318.
- de Jong, R.M. & Bierens, H.J., 1994. "On the Limit Behavior of a Chi-Square Type Test if the Number of Conditional Moments Tested Approaches Infinity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 70-90, March.
- Rothernberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Hypothesis Testing in Linear Models When the Error Covariance Matrix Is Nonscalar," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 827-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:170:y:2012:i:2:p:368-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.