Savings, expectations and technological unemployment: a generalization of assumptions for the Hicksian fixwage traverse
This paper examines the role of alternative assumptions on savings and expectations for the fixwage traverse with strong forward biased technological change. After briefly outlining the model, some peculiarities of the adjustment path under the Hicksian Q-Assumption are investigated. Subsequently, the consequences of several savings functions consistent with the assumption of static expectations are explored. With all but one of these assumptions the possibility of permanent technological unemployment emerges. Additionally, the assumption of adaptive expectations is introduced, in which case technological unemployment throughout the early phase prevails. Furthermore, oscillating growth rates emerge, indicating the possibility of technologically caused business cycles.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866, December.
- Malinvaud, E, 1986. "Reflecting on the Theory of Capital and Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(3), pages 367-85, November.
- Faber, Malte, 1975. "Mehrergiebigkeit und Hicks' neuer Begriff des technischen Wandels. (Superiority and Hicks' New Concept of Technical Change. With English summary.)," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 574-96.
- Nardini, Franco, 1993. "Traverse and convergence in the neo-Austrian model: The case of a distributive shock," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 105-125, June.
- Zamagni, Stefano, 1984. "Ricardo and Hayek Effects in a Fixwage Model of Traverse," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(0), pages 135-51, Supplemen.
- Nardini, Franco, 1990. "Cycle-trend dynamics in a fixwage neo-Austrian model of traverse," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 165-194, June.
- Franco Nardini, 1994. "Delayed Response To Shocks In The Neo-Austrian Model: Characteristics Of The Traverse Path," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 17-46, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.