Production, Prices and Time: A Comparison of Some Alternative Concepts
This paper compares alternative concepts of production and prices with a special emphasis on time. First, it is demonstrated that the point-input point-output representation of processes used in von Neumann-Sraffa models is not restrictive and can be derived from general flow-input flow-output processes. Second, the concept of long-period positions, which can be traced back to the work of the classical authors, is discussed. Third, the von Neumann-Sraffa approach is compared with the neo-Austrian model and the flow-fund model developed by Hicks and Georgescu-Roegen respectively. It turns out that these latter two models are, at best, a special case of the former. Finally, some problems and intricacies concerning observable input-output coefficients are discussed and, as an alternative, a possibly applicable method to determine coefficients for general flow-input flow-output processes is presented.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866, December.
- J. v. Neumann, 1945. "A Model of General Economic Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-9.
- Hicks, J R, 1970. "A Neo-Austrian Growth Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 80(318), pages 257-81, June.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, October.
- Hagemann, Harald & Kurz, Heinz D, 1976. "The Return to the Same Truncation Period and Reswitching of Techniques in Neo-Austrian and More General Models," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 678-708.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:12:y:2000:i:2:p:231-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.