Asset pricing without garbage
This paper provides an explanation why garbage as a measure of consumption implies a several times lower coefficient of relative risk aversion in the consumption-based asset pricing model than consumption based on the official National Income and Product Accounts (NIPA): Unlike garbage, NIPA consumption is filtered to mitigate measurement error. I apply a structural model of the filtering process, which allows to revoke the filter inherent in NIPA consumption. Unfiltered NIPA consumption performs as well as garbage in explaining the equity premium and risk-free rate puzzle. Furthermore, I find that two other popular NIPA-based measures, three-year and fourth-quarter NIPA consumption, are related to unfiltered NIPA consumption. Both can be viewed as ad hoc unfilter rules.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel C. Quan & John M. Quigley, 1989. "Inferring an Investment Return Series for Real Estate from Observations on Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 218-230.
- Bell, William R. & Wilcox, David W., 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 235-265.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Levin, Andrew T, 2000.
"Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0127m2tp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Andrew T. Levin, 2000. "Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order," NBER Technical Working Papers 0255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexi Savov, 2011. "Asset Pricing with Garbage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 177-201, 02.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2004.
"Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1481-1509, 08.
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2000. "Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles," NBER Working Papers 8059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Wirjanto, Tony, 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 267-273.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.