Asset pricing without garbage
This paper provides an explanation why garbage as a measure of consumption implies a several times lower coefficient of relative risk aversion in the consumption-based asset pricing model than consumption based on the official National Income and Product Accounts (NIPA): Unlike garbage, NIPA consumption is filtered to mitigate measurement error. I apply a structural model of the filtering process, which allows to revoke the filter inherent in NIPA consumption. Unfiltered NIPA consumption performs as well as garbage in explaining the equity premium and risk-free rate puzzle. Furthermore, I find that two other popular NIPA-based measures, three-year and fourth-quarter NIPA consumption, are related to unfiltered NIPA consumption. Both can be viewed as ad hoc unfilter rules.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2000.
"Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
8059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ravi Bansal & Amir Yaron, 2004. "Risks for the Long Run: A Potential Resolution of Asset Pricing Puzzles," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1481-1509, 08.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Wirjanto, Tony, 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 267-273.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Andrew T. Levin, 2000.
"Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Levin, Andrew T, 2000. "Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0127m2tp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Daniel C. Quan & John M. Quigley, 1989. "Inferring an Investment Return Series for Real Estate from Observations on Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 218-230.
- Alexi Savov, 2011. "Asset Pricing with Garbage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 177-201, 02.
- Bell, William R. & Wilcox, David W., 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 235-265.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.