Activating labour market policies and the restructuring of welfare and state: a comparative view on changing forms of governance
Analysis of the change of governance in activating labour market policy in Denmark, the UK and Germany supports the restructuring thesis advanced in the course of the debate on how to classify the change in the welfare state. New objectives, such as 'the promotion of employability', have been accompanied by a general trend towards a decline in state responsibility for service delivery and a reduction of rights to transfer payments. At the same time, however, the state's responsibility as guarantor in respect of rights to social services has increased and the obligation to work has been introduced, in conjunction with an increase in reflexive forms of governance. Thus the observed restructuring has brought about a change in the nature of both welfare and state. Although the outlined trend of changing forms of governance and statehood is to be found in all three countries, level and scope of certain instruments and governance forms vary strongly, and characterise the emergence of quite different activating policies, respectively a convergent divergence of welfare state development.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Parkallee 39, 28209 Bremen|
Web page: http://en.zes.uni-bremen.de/ccm/navigation/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Katharina Spieß & Felix Büchel & Joachim R. Frick, 2002. "Kinderbetreuung in West- und Ostdeutschland: sozioökonomischer Hintergrund entscheidend," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 69(31), pages 518-524.
- Kemmerling, Achim & Bruttel, Oliver, 2005. "New politics in German labour market policy? The implications of the recent Hartz reforms for the German welfare state," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment SP I 2005-101, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Eichhorst, Werner & Grienberger-Zingerle, Maria & Konle-Seidl, Regina, 2006.
"Activation Policies in Germany: From Status Protection to Basic Income Support,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2514, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Konle-Seidl, Regina & Eichhorst, Werner & Grienberger-Zingerle, Maria, 2007. "Activation policies in Germany : from status protection to basic income support," IAB Discussion Paper 200706, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- B Jessop, 1995. "Towards a Schumpeterian workfare regime in Britain? Reflections on regulation, governance, and welfare state," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(10), pages 1613-1626, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeswps:012009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.