Fast nonparametric classification based on data depth
A new procedure, called DD-procedure, is developed to solve the problem of classifying d-dimensional objects into q Ï 2 classes. The procedure is completely nonparametric; it uses q-dimensional depth plots and a very efficient algorithm for discrimination analysis in the depth space [0, 1]q . Specifically, the depth is the zonoid depth, and the algorithm is the procedure. In case of more than two classes several binary classifications are performed and a majority rule is applied. Special treatments are discussed for outsiders, that is, data having zero depth vector. The DD-classifier is applied to simulated as well as real data, and the results are compared with those of similar procedures that have been recently proposed. In most cases the new procedure has comparable error rates, but is much faster than other classification approaches, including the SVM.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0221 / 470 5607|
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christmann, Andreas & Rousseeuw, Peter J., 2001. "Measuring overlap in binary regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 65-75, July.
- Jörnsten, Rebecka, 2004. "Clustering and classification based on the L1 data depth," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 67-89, July.
- Hubert, Mia & Van Driessen, Katrien, 2004. "Fast and robust discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 301-320, March.
- Subhajit Dutta & Anil Ghosh, 2012. "On robust classification using projection depth," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 64(3), pages 657-676, June.
- Anil K. Ghosh & Probal Chaudhuri, 2005. "On Maximum Depth and Related Classifiers," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(2), pages 327-350.
- K. Mosler, 2003. "Central regions and dependency," Econometrics 0309004, EconWPA.
- Cuesta-Albertos, J.A. & Nieto-Reyes, A., 2008. "The random Tukey depth," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(11), pages 4979-4988, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ucdpse:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.