Patient autonomy and education in specific medical knowledge
The asymmetry between the patient as a layman and the physician as an expert is a key element in health economics. However, a change to a higher degree of patient autonomy has taken place. Furthermore, there is a consensus in a positive correlation between general education and productivity of medical care. This paper focuses on the individual investments of laymen in specific medical education as a decision problem in which the ex-post strategies of the individual are consultation and self-care as imperfect substitutes. It is assumed that specific knowledge increases the self-diagnosis competence (self-protection) and the self-care productivity (self-insurance) as dimensions of autonomy. The analysis is divided into two forms of ex-post decision making according to individual rationality: 1. ambiguity 2. uncertainty. An elaboration of necessary conditions for investments in education is undertaken.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01062 Dresden|
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: https://tu-dresden.de/gsw/wirtschaft/?set_language=en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dardanoni, Valentino & Wagstaff, Adam, 1990.
"Uncertainty and the demand for medical care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 23-38, June.
- Price, Joseph & Simon, Kosali, 2009. "Patient education and the impact of new medical research," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1166-1174, December.
- Kamhon KAN & Wei-Der TSAI, 2004.
"Obesity and Risk Knowledge,"
IEAS Working Paper : academic research
04-A002, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Liljas, Bengt, 1998. "The demand for health with uncertainty and insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 153-170, April.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-648, July-Aug..
- Chang, Fwu-Ranq, 1996. "Uncertainty and investment in health," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 369-376, June.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 1986. "The Demand for Health: A Simplified Grossman Model [On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health]," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 93-95, January.
- Lee, ChoongSup, 1995. "Optimal medical treatment under asymmetric information," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 419-441, October.
- Picone, Gabriel & Uribe, Martin & Mark Wilson, R., 1998. "The effect of uncertainty on the demand for medical care, health capital and wealth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 171-185, April.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis R. & Lebrun, Thérèse C. & Sailly, Jean-Claude L., 1984. "The informative content of diagnostic tests: An economic analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 18(10), pages 873-880, January.
- Richard B. Smith, 2005. "An Alternative Perspective On Information Asymmetry; Implications For Consumer Authority In Physician Services Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 665-699, 09.
- Wagner, Todd H. & Hu, Teh-wei & Hibbard, Judith H., 2001. "The demand for consumer health information," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1059-1075, November.
- Muurinen, Jaana-Marja, 1982. "Demand for health: A generalised Grossman model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-28, May.
- Kenkel, Don, 1990. "Consumer Health Information and the Demand for Medical Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 587-595, November.
- Selden, Thomas M., 1993. "Uncertainty and health care spending by the poor: The health capital model revisited," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 109-115, April.
- Charles E. Phelps, 1992. "Diffusion of Information in Medical Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 23-42, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.