Competition and the Evolution of Market Structure in the E-conomy : A Simulation Analysis
In this paper an evolutionary simulation model, based on replicator dynamics, is developed. The purpose is to identify changes in the patterns of evolution of the market structure caused by Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in the E-conomy in comparison to the Old Economy (without ICT). The relationship between the two economy concepts can be summed up from an industrial organization point of view with the help of stylized facts about the evolution of the market structure as phases in an industrial life cycle. The simulation results show that economic development progresses from the E-conomy to the (next) Old Economy.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01062 Dresden|
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 2000. "Capitalism and democracy in the 21st Century: from the managed to the entrepreneurial economy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- MartinNeil Baily & Robert Z. Lawrence, 2001.
"Do We Have a New E-conomy?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 308-312, May.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993.
"The Life-Cycle of a Competitive Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
4441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G., 1993. "The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry," Working Papers 93-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1992. "The Life-Cycle of Competitive Industry," Papers 92-09, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Uwe Cantner & Horst Hanusch, 1998. "Industrie-Evolution," Discussion Paper Series 177, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Franco Malerba & Richard Nelson & Luigi Orsenigo & Sidney G. Winter, 2001. "History-Friendly Models: an Overview of the Case of the Computer Industry," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 4(3), pages 6.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.