Optimal consumption choice under uncertainty with intertemporal substitution
We extend the analysis of the intertemporal utility maximization problem for Hindy-Huang-Kreps utilities reported in Bank and Riedel (1998) to the stochastic case. Existence and uniqueness of optimal consumption plans are established under arbitrary convex portfolio constraints, including both complete and incomplete markets. For the complete market setting, Kuhn-Tuckerlike necessary and sufficient conditions for optimality are given. Using this characterization, we show that optimal consumption plans are obtained by re- flecting the associated level of satisfaction on a stochastic lower bound. When uncertainty is generated by a Lévy process and agents exhibit constant relative risk aversion, closed-form solutions are derived. Depending on the structure of the underlying stochastics, optimal consumption occurs at rates, in gulps, or singular to Lebesgue measure.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bank & Frank Riedel, 1998.
"Non-Time Additive Utility Optimization - the Case of Certainty,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Bank, Peter & Riedel, Frank, 2000. "Non-time additive utility optimization--the case of certainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 271-290, April.
- Riedel, Frank & Bank, Peter, 1998. "Non-time additive utility optimization: The case of certainty," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,108, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-543, June.
- Jin, Xing & Deng, Shuhui, 1997. "Existence and uniqueness of optimal consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time finance model with habit formation and without short sales," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 187-205, September.
- Föllmer, Hans & Kramkov, D. O., 1997. "Optional decompositions under constraints," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Yuri Kabanov & Dimitri De Vallière & Emmanuel Denis, 2009.
"Hedging of American options under transaction costs,"
- D. Vallière & E. Denis & Y. Kabanov, 2009. "Hedging of American options under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 105-119, January.
- Föllmer, Hans & Kabanov, Jurij M., 1997.
"Optional decomposition and lagrange multipliers,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1997,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu, 1992. "Intertemporal Preferences for Uncertain Consumption: A Continuous Time Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 781-801, July.
- Cuoco, Domenico, 1997. "Optimal Consumption and Equilibrium Prices with Portfolio Constraints and Stochastic Income," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 33-73, January.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Sundaresan, Suresh M, 1989. "Intertemporally Dependent Preferences and the Volatility of Consumption and Wealth," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 73-89.
- Duffie, Darrell & Skiadas, Costis, 1994. "Continuous-time security pricing : A utility gradient approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 107-131, March.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Kreps, David, 1992. "On intertemporal preferences in continuous time : The case of certainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 401-440.
- Cox, John C. & Huang, Chi-fu, 1989. "Optimal consumption and portfolio policies when asset prices follow a diffusion process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 33-83, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb373:199971. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.