Generic determinacy of equilibria with local substitution
Consumption of a good at one point in time is a substitute for consumption of the same good an instant earlier or later. Utility functions which conform to this fact must necessarily be non-time separable, as Hindy, Huang, and Kreps show. When agents' utility functions are non-time separable in the required way, the price space consists of semimartingales with an absolutely continuous compensator. In general, this space is not closed under taking pointwise maxima, that is, it is not a lattice. Therefore, neither the Mas-Colell/Richard existence theorem nor the determinacy theorem by Shannon/Zame apply. In a paper with Peter Bank, existence is established for such intertemporal economies; here, I show that generically, the number of equilibria is finite and that equilibrium allocations depend continuously on endowments. The notion of genericity is (finite) prevalence as developed by Anderson/Zame.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2000.
"Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2002. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 631-662, March.
- Chris Shannon and William R. Zame., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Economics Working Papers E99-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Shannon, Chris & Zame, William R., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3fv586x6, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D., 1997. "On the Mas-Colell-Richard Equilibrium Theorem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 414-424, June.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Stochastic Differential Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 353-94, March.
- Duffie, Darrel & Lions, Pierre-Louis, 1992. "PDE solutions of stochastic differential utility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 577-606.
- Duffie, Darrell & Zame, William, 1989.
"The Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1279-97, November.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Asset Pricing with Stochastic Differential Utility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 411-36.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu, 1992. "Intertemporal Preferences for Uncertain Consumption: A Continuous Time Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 781-801, July.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Kreps, David, 1992. "On intertemporal preferences in continuous time : The case of certainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 401-440.
- Anderson Robert M. & Zame William R., 2001. "Genericity with Infinitely Many Parameters," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-64, February.
- Shannon, Chris, 1994. "Regular nonsmooth equations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 147-165, March.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Richard, Scott F., 1991. "A new approach to the existence of equilibria in vector lattices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Frank Riedel & Peter Bank, 2001.
"Existence and structure of stochastic equilibria with intertemporal substitution,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 487-509.
- Bank, Peter & Riedel, Frank, 2000. "Existence and structure of stochastic equilibria with intertemporal substitution," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,104, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:41:y:2005:i:4-5:p:603-616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.