Broadband access in the EU: An assessment of future economic benefits
This paper evaluates the net benefits of the implementation of the broadband infrastructure deployment targets by 2020 as entailed by the Digital Agenda for Europe Initiative set forth by the European Commission. We estimate the returns from broadband infrastructure for the period 2005-2011, differentiating the impact of broadband by levels of adoption and speed while accounting for reverse causality and extensive heterogeneity. We find that in the base case scenario the overall benefits outweigh the costs by 32% for the entire European Union. We further extrapolate the returns by country under different scenarios of implementation. In most cases the benefits are substantially well above the costs. The findings lead to policy recommendations related to the role of public support for the generalized build out of broadband infrastructure.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shane Greenstein & Ryan McDevitt, 2012. "Measuring the Broadband Bonus in Thirty OECD Countries," OECD Digital Economy Papers 197, OECD Publishing.
- Catherine Robinson & Mary O'Mahony & Michela Vecchi, 2004.
"The Impact Of ICT On The Demand For Skilled Labour: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
91, Royal Economic Society.
- O'Mahony, Mary & Robinson, Catherine & Vecchi, Michela, 2008. "The impact of ICT on the demand for skilled labour: A cross-country comparison," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1435-1450, December.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2013.
"More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance,"
DICE Discussion Papers
86, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2011. "More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik & Hitt, Lorin M., 2004.
"Computing Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence,"
4210-01, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2009. "The economic impact of broadband on growth: A simultaneous approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 471-485, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse13:88492. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.