Broadband access in the EU: An assessment of future economic benefits
This paper evaluates the net benefits of the implementation of the broadband infrastructure deployment targets by 2020 as entailed by the Digital Agenda for Europe Initiative set forth by the European Commission. We estimate the returns from broadband infrastructure for the period 2005-2011, differentiating the impact of broadband by levels of adoption and speed while accounting for reverse causality and extensive heterogeneity. We find that in the base case scenario the overall benefits outweigh the costs by 32% for the entire European Union. We further extrapolate the returns by country under different scenarios of implementation. In most cases the benefits are substantially well above the costs. The findings lead to policy recommendations related to the role of public support for the generalized build out of broadband infrastructure.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2013.
"More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance,"
DICE Discussion Papers
86, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2011. "More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2009. "The economic impact of broadband on growth: A simultaneous approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 471-485, October.
- O'Mahony, Mary & Robinson, Catherine & Vecchi, Michela, 2008.
"The impact of ICT on the demand for skilled labour: A cross-country comparison,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1435-1450, December.
- Catherine Robinson & Mary O'Mahony & Michela Vecchi, 2004. "The Impact Of ICT On The Demand For Skilled Labour: A Cross-Country Comparison," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 91, Royal Economic Society.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rohman, Ibrahim Kholilul & Bohlin, Erik, 2012. "Does broadband speed really matter for driving economic growth? Investigating OECD countries," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60385, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2003.
"Computing Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 793-808, November.
- Shane Greenstein & Ryan McDevitt, 2012. "Measuring the Broadband Bonus in Thirty OECD Countries," OECD Digital Economy Papers 197, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse13:88492. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.