Revisiting Procedural Utility: Evidence from European Survey Data
This research note presents cross-country evidence that job satisfaction is higher for self-employed than for employees. The examination, however, does not stop at this point and examines the reasons why this is the case. Using data on 25 European countries, we can show that individuals seem to derive utility from the way outcomes are achieved. In other words, our results are in line with procedural utility theory (Benz and Frey, 2004, 2008).
|Date of creation:||16 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Nicola Fuchs-Schuendeln, 2008.
"On Preferences for Being Self-Employed,"
2008 Meeting Papers
634, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Milo Bianchi, 2012.
"Financial Development, Entrepreneurship, and Job Satisfaction,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 273-286, February.
- Milo Bianchi, 2008. "Financial development, entrepreneurship and job satisfaction," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586059, HAL.
- Milo Bianchi, 2012. "Financial Development, Entrepreneurship, and Job Satisfaction," Post-Print halshs-00670031, HAL.
- Matthias Benz & Bruno S. Frey, 2008.
"Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(298), pages 362-383, 05.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz, 2003. "Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy," CESifo Working Paper Series 959, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz, . "Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy," IEW - Working Papers 135, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5067 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:esprep:57929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.