Equal opportunity in educational contexts: Comparing the feasibility of divergent conceptualizations
For political advice towards equal opportunities in educational policy fields, different conceptualizations of the term coexist. While e.g. Roemer and Van de Gaer focused on outcome opportunities, but differed with respect to individual versus group perspective, other scholars like Sen and Thomson interpreted the norm to reflect equal initial choice sets, but differed in their interpretation of relevant choice alternatives. Normative content being partly delegated to political debate, those concepts still incorporate different framings for interpreting equality of opportunity and consequently trigger biased policies. To address this shortcoming, I propose a multidimensional scope of equal opportunity interpretations and distinguish feasibility issues of different perspectives toward equal opportunities in educational contexts. Contextual characteristics concerning elementary and vocational schooling as well as decentralized education are shown to enable more precise recommendations in terms of feasibility of equal opportunity concepts. Inclusion of divergent conceptualizations may thus prove helpful to overcome feasibility issues.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 +761 / 203 2301
Fax: +49 +761 / 203 2303
Web page: http://www.wipo.uni-freiburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk gaer, 2007.
"Equality of Opportunity versus Equality of Opportunity Sets,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 209-230, February.
- OOGHE, Erwin & SCHOKKAERT, Erik & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, . "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1960, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Ooghe & E. Schokkaert & D. Van De Gaer, 2004. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/240, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk Van de Gaer, 2003. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Public Economics Working Paper Series wpeoeos, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- François Maniquet, 2004.
"On the equivalence between welfarism and equality of opportunity,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 127-147, 08.
- Francois Maniquet, 2002. "On the Equivalence between Welfarism and Equality of Opportunity," Economics Working Papers 0022, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Samuel Bowles & Glenn C. Loury & Rajiv Sethi, 2014.
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Kranich, Laurence, 1996.
"Equitable Opportunities: An Axiomatic Approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 131-147, October.
- Dirk Van de gaer & Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1999. "Responsibility, talent, and compensation: A second-best analysis," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-55.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Mogstad, Magne & Peragine, Vito, 2010.
"Measuring Long-Term Inequality of Opportunity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4714, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aaberge, Rolf & Mogstad, Magne & Peragine, Vito, 2011. "Measuring long-term inequality of opportunity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 193-204, April.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Mogstad, Magne & Peragine, Vito, 2011. "Measuring long-term inequality of opportunity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 193-204.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Measuring long-term inequality of opportunity," Discussion Papers 620, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Measuring long-term inequality of opportunity," Working Papers 158, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cenwps:022011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.