A Shadow Price Approach to Technical Efficiency Measurement
The axiomatic literature on technical efficiency measurement has drawn attention to the indication problem of the Debreu-Farrell (DF) measure. We follow a shadow price approach to preserve the DF benchmark while reconciling it with the Koopmans efficiency characterization. First, we define a set of Koopmans efficient references that can be rationalized in a similar way as the DF projection. The indication problem is then captured using a measure of implicit allocative or mix efficiency, also interpretable as a dominance measure in price space. We consequently present a mix-adjusted DF framework for efficiency measurement in which e.g. the Zieschang (1984) procedure can be fitted.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||A profoundly revised version of this paper is available under the title "Technical Efficiency Evaluation: Naturally Dual;" see http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpe/papers/wptchff.html.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Naamsestraat 69, 3000 Leuven|
Phone: +32-(0)16-32 67 25
Fax: +32-(0)16-32 67 96
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/academic/econover/default.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Vanpuyenbroeck, 1999.
"Product mixes as objects of choice in nonparametric efficiency measurement,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces9901, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2001. "Product mixes as objects of choice in non-parametric efficiency measurement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 287-295, July.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Tom VAN PUYENBROECK, 1999. "Product Mixes as Objects of Choice in Nonparametric Efficiency Measurement," Working Papers Department of Economics ces9901, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1998. "Shadow Pricing of Good and Bad Commodities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 584-590.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Robert Russell, R., 1990. "Continuity of measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 255-267, August.
- Kopp, Raymond J., 1981. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production: A comment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 450-452, December.
- Christensen, Flemming & Hougaard, Jens Leth & Keiding, Hans, 1999. "An axiomatic characterization of efficiency indices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 33-37, April.
- Banker, Rajiv D & Maindiratta, Ajay, 1988. "Nonparametric Analysis of Technical and Allocative Efficiencies in Production," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1315-32, November.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994.
"Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ferrier, G. D. & Kerstens, K. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Radial and nonradial technical efficiency measures on a DEA reference technology: a comparison using US banking data," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1156, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpe:papers:ces9924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristof Bosmans)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.