Arrow's theorem, Weglorz' models and the axiom of choice
Applying Weglorz' models of set theory without the axiom of choice, we investigate Arrow-type social welfare functions for infinite societies with restricted coalition algebras. We show that there is a reasonable, nondictatorial social welfare function satisfying "finite discrimination", if and only if in Weglorz' model there is a free ultrafilter on a set representing the individuals.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- KIRMAN, Alan P. & SONDERMANN, Dieter, .
"Arrow's theorem, many agents, and indivisible dictators,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-118, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kirman, Alan P. & Sondermann, Dieter, 1972. "Arrow's theorem, many agents, and invisible dictators," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 267-277, October.
- H. Reiju Mihara, 1994.
"Anonymity and Neutrality in Arrow's Theorem with Restricted Coalition Algebras,"
9411001, EconWPA, revised 22 Nov 1994.
- H. Reiju Mihara, 1997. "Anonymity and neutrality in Arrow's Theorem with restricted coalition algebras," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 503-512.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521424585 is not listed on IDEAS
- H. Reiju Mihara, 2001.
"Existence of a coalitionally strategyproof social choice function: A constructive proof,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 543-553.
- H. Reiju Mihara, 1996. "Existence of a Coalitionally Strategyproof Social Choice Function: A Constructive Proof," Public Economics 9604002, EconWPA, revised 20 Sep 1996.
- H. Reiju Mihara, 1997.
"Arrow's Theorem and Turing computability,"
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 257-276.
- Lauwers, Luc & Van Liedekerke, Luc, 1995. "Ultraproducts and aggregation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 217-237.
- Fishburn, Peter C., 1970. "Arrow's impossibility theorem: Concise proof and infinite voters," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 103-106, March.
- H. Reiju Mihara, 1997. "Arrow's Theorem, countably many agents, and more visible invisible dictators," Public Economics 9705001, EconWPA, revised 07 May 1997.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:9902001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.