MERCOSUR-EU trade: The impact of adverse macroeconomic developments and trade barriers on MERCOSUR exports
This article examines sectoral MERCOSUR exports to the EU in the period of 1988 to 1996. A sectoral study is considered indispensable since tariff and non-tariff trade barriers vary strongly among sectors. The empirical investigation is based on both a dynamic panel analysis and a rather qualitative evaluation of the extent of tariff and non-tariff barriers imposed by the EU. The ex-post analysis for the period of 1988 to 1996 revealed three things: First, a more competitive real exchange rate could contribute to a better MERCOSUR export performance. Second, EU protection has had in general a very negative impact on MERCOSUR export growth rates. Third, EU protection strongly affected MERCOSUR's largest export sectors.
|Date of creation:||07 Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; pages: 26 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2001. "Ist diesmal alles anders? Die neue Welle regionaler Integration in Lateinamerika aus europäischer Perspektive," Kiel Working Papers 1026, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Yeats, Alexander J, 1998. "Does Mercosur's Trade Performance Raise Concerns about the Effects of Regional Trade Arrangements?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Finger, J. Michael & Nogues, Julio J., 2001.
"The unbalanced Ururguay Round outcome : the new areas in future WTO negotiations,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2732, The World Bank.
- J. Michael Finger & Julio J. Nogués, 2002. "The Unbalanced Uruguay Round Outcome: The New Areas in Future WTO Negotiations," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 321-340, 03.
- J. Michael Finger & Julio J. Nogués, 2005. "The Unbalanced Uruguay Round Outcome: The New Areas in Future WTO Negotiations," International Trade 0502010, EconWPA.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2003. "Explaining MERCOSUR sectoral exports to the EU: The role of economic and geographical distance," International Trade 0309025, EconWPA.
- Diao, Xinshen & Somwaru, Agapi, 2000. "An Inquiry on General Equilibrium Effects of MERCOSUR--An Intertemporal World Model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 557-588, September.
- J. Michael Finger, 2001. "Implementing the Uruguay Round Agreements: Problems for Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(9), pages 1097-1108, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0310002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.