Ownership Concentration and Restructuring in Czech Manufacturing Sector
The paper examines the dependence of firm restructuring on private outside ownership concentration in Czech manufacturing sector after privatization. It starts with the argumentation that the most important actors in the post-privatization ownership structure in the Czech Republic were investment privatization funds, followed by the state, and that the ‘rules of the game’ opened a large space for moral hazard. Based on the realization of these Czech specialties and on the logic of the break-through article by Morck, Shleifer and Vishny’s from 1988, the paper operationalizes the benefits and the costs of ownership concentration by four effects – incentive, manager-entrenchment, outsider-entrenchment and tunneling effects. This leads to the hypothesis that the concentration-restructuring function in the post- privatization Czech environment is increasing for sufficiently low as well as for sufficiently high values of concentration, while its slope in the inner band of concentration is attenuated or even negative due to the entrenchment and tunneling costs of concentration. This hypothesis is tested on an unbalanced panel data on 90 Czech companies for the years 1991-1998. OLS, FE and RE regressions with labor productivity on the left-hand sides partly confirm the hypothesis, especially the expected shape of the function for high and moderate concentration. However, no significant specification is found when instrumental variables are used to remove possible selection bias. Neither OLS, FE and RE, nor IV estimations showed a significant systematic relationship between private outside ownership concentration and the layoff and turnover ratios. The results in general report a negative effect of the state’s shareholding and a positive effect of insiders’ shareholding on restructuring.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Ellerman, 1998. "Voucher Privatization with Investment Funds: An Institutional Analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 167, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-783, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Frantisek Turnovec, 1998. "Privatization, Ownership Structure and Transparency: How to Measure a Real Involvement of State," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 170, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Dusan Triska, 1996. "The Role of Investment Funds in the Czech Republic," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 23, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kocenda, Evzen, 1999.
"Residual State Property in the Czech Republic,"
70511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evžen Kočenda, 1999. "Residual State Property in the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 37(5), pages 6-35, October.
- Evžen Kočenda, 1999. "Residual State Property in the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(5), pages 06-35, September.
- Ellerman, David, 1998. "Voucher privatization with investment funds : an institutional analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1924, The World Bank.
- Wendy Carlin & John Van Reenen & Toby Wolfe, 1995. "Enterprise restructuring in early transition: the case study evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(4), pages 427-458, December.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "Managerial control of voting rights : Financing policies and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 25-54, January.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation," Scholarly Articles 29407535, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Pohl, G. & Anderson, R.E. & Claessens, S. & Djankov, S., 1997. "Privatization and Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence and Policy Options," Papers 368, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Cubbin, John S & Leech, Dennis, 1983. "The Effect of Shareholding Dispersion on the Degree of Control in British Companies: Theory and Measurement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(37), pages 351-69, June.
- Stijn Claesens & Simeon Djankov & Gerhard Pohl, 1997.
"Ownership and Corporate Governance : Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
11584, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Pohl, Gerhard, 1997. "Ownership and corporate governance : evidence from the Czech Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1737, The World Bank.
- Earle, John S & Estrin, Saul, 1997. "After Voucher Privatization: The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Russian Manufacturing Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1736, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Makhija, Anil K & Spiro, Michael, 2000. "Ownership Structure as a Determinant of Firm Value: Evidence from Newly Privatized Czech Firms," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1-31, August.
- J Earle & S Estrin & L Leshchenko, 1996. "Ownership Structures," CEP Discussion Papers dp0315, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert E. Anderson & Simeon Dejankov & Gerhard Pohl & Stijn Claessons, 1997. "Privatization and Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11576, The World Bank.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-1177, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0511004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.