Is GARCH(1,1) as good a model as the Nobel prize accolades would imply?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- I. Gijbels & A. Pope & M. P. Wand, 1999. "Understanding exponential smoothing via kernel regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(1), pages 39-50.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980.
"On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980. "On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation," NBER Working Papers 0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gürtler, Marc & Rauh, Ronald, 2012. "Challenging traditional risk models by a non-stationary approach with nonparametric heteroscedasticity," Working Papers IF41V1, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- Hafner, Christian M. & Linton, Oliver, 2010.
"Efficient estimation of a multivariate multiplicative volatility model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 55-73, November.
- Christian M. Hafner & Oliver Linton, 2009. "Efficient Estimation of a Multivariate Multiplicative Volatility Model," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 541, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Christian M. Hafner & Oliver Linton, 2010. "Efficient estimation of a multivariate multiplicative volatility model," Post-Print hal-00732539, HAL.
- Gürtler, Marc & Rauh, Ronald, 2009. "Shortcomings of a parametric VaR approach and nonparametric improvements based on a non-stationary return series model," Working Papers IF32V2, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- J. Polzehl & V. Spokoiny & C. Starica, 2004. "When did the 2001 recession really start?," Econometrics 0411017, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Neto & Sylvain Sardy & Paul Tseng, 2009. "l1-Penalized Likelihood Smoothing of Volatility Processes allowing for Abrupt Changes," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2009.05, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Gürtler, Marc & Kreiss, Jens-Peter & Rauh, Ronald, 2009. "A non-stationary approach for financial returns with nonparametric heteroscedasticity," Working Papers IF31V2, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- Amélie Charles, 2008. "Forecasting volatility with outliers in GARCH models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 551-565.
- Claudio Bonilla & Jean Sepulveda, 2011. "Stock returns in emerging markets and the use of GARCH models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1321-1325.
More about this item
Keywordsstock returns; volatility; Garch(1; 1); non-stationarities; unconditional time-varying volatility; IGARCH effect; longer-horizon forecasts;
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes; State Space Models
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2004-12-12 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-HPE-2004-12-12 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0411015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA). General contact details of provider: https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de .