Design-Adaptive Pointwise Nonparametric Regression Estimation For Recurrent Markov Time Series
A general framework is proposed for (auto)regression nonparametric estimation of recurrent time series in a class of Hilbert Markov processes with a Lipschitz conditional mean. This includes various nonstationarities by relaxing usual dependence assumptions as mixing or ergodicity, which are replaced with recurrence. The cornerstone of design-adaptation is a data-driven bandwidth choice based on an empirical bias variance tradeoff, giving rise to a random consistency rate for a uniform kernel estimator. The estimator converges with this random rate, which is the optimal minimax random rate over the considered class of recurrent time series. Extensions to general kernel estimators are investigated. For weak dependent time-series, the order of the random rate coincides with the deterministic minimax rate previously derived. New deterministic estimation rates are obtained for modified Box-Cox transformations of Random Walks.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Guerre & Jules Maes, 1998.
"Optimal Rate for Nonparametric Estimation in Deterministic Dynamical Systems,"
98-06, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- E. Guerre & J. Maës, 1998. "Optimal Rate for Nonparametric Estimation in Deterministic Dynamical Systems," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 157-173, May.
- Yakowitz, Sidney & Györfi, László & Kieffer, John & Morvai, Gusztáv, 1999. "Strongly Consistent Nonparametric Forecasting and Regression for Stationary Ergodic Sequences," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 24-41, October.
- repec:fth:inseep:9806 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1998. "Nonstationary Density Estimation and Kernel Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1181, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yakowitz, Sid, 1993. "Nearest neighbor regression estimation for null-recurrent Markov time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 311-318, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0411007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.