On The Role Of Wages In The Ukrainian Transition Process : An Empirical Investigation
There are two intriguing questions about the transition process undertaken by the Ukraine since its declaration of sovereignty in December 1991. (i) Why had one of the more prosperous republics of the former USSR in terms of economic development and population welfare been suffering of both a persistent and high inflation during the four first years of its young existence ? (ii) How - in the early months of 1996 - could the Ukrainian efficiently put an end to the skyrocketing of prices ? The aim of this paper is to understand how such an outstanding reversal of situation could occur. Firstly, in support of a cointegration test, we assert that between January 1992 and November 1995, the Ukraine was faced with a complex monetary regime in which wage was the economic variable through which most of the inflationary pressures passed, directly or indirectly. Secondly, we explain that since the beginning of 1996, the existent monetary regime has been replaced by a new one in which inflation is contained but wages and pensions arrears increase quickly. Such a situation is not sustainable in the short and we outline possible remedies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halushka, Andrij & Savluk, Sergei & Wörgötter, Andreas, 1994. "Ukrainian Hyperinflation: History, Analysis, Recommendations," East European Series 10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Heiner, Ronald A, 1983. "The Origin of Predictable Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 560-595, September.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Cukierman, Alex & Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1992. "Seigniorage and Political Instability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 537-555, June.
- Alex Cukierman & Sebastian Edwards & Guido Tabellini, 1989. "Seigniorage and Political Instability," NBER Working Papers 3199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-1056, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0403009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.