Competition, Growth, and Performance in the Banking Industry
This paper analyzes competition, growth, and performance in the banking industry. First, we analyze the relationship between market structure and the performance of the banking industry. Furthermore, we test hypotheses on whether size matters for individual banks' profit performance. As such, we use extreme bounds stability analysis and a stability analysis in line with Sala-i-Martin (1997) to test for the reliability of the regression outcomes. It turns out that bank profits are inversely related to the amount of bank assets and are positively associated with the amount of tier-one bank capital.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Rebecca Demsetz & Philip E. Strahan, 1998.
"The consolidation of the financial services industry: causes, consequences, and implications for the future,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Demsetz, Rebecca S. & Strahan, Philip E., 1999. "The consolidation of the financial services industry: Causes, consequences, and implications for the future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 135-194, February.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996.
"The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1997.
"I Just Ran Two Million Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 178-183, May.
- Rhoades, Stephen A & Yeats, Alexander J, 1974. "Growth, Consolidation and Mergers in Banking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1397-1405, December.
- William R. Keeton, 1999. "Does faster loan growth lead to higher loan losses?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 57-75.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennin:00-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.