Some General Questions About Markets
Markets are central institutions of Western societies and their main mechanism of coordination; however, we do not know much about their functioning. How are prices formed? By which ways do buyers and sellers meet? What kind of rule are necessary for markets to function? The purpose of this paper is analyze some aspects of market functioning, and to try to isolate mechanism by which this functioning may be determined by diverse institutional forms. A comparison of some markets for perishable goods and some financial and commodity markets allows to identify set of rules controlling their functioning. A preliminary result of this comparison is the characteristics of the traded good.
|Date of creation:||May 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg|
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf, S.N., 1996.
"Statistical Mechanics Approaches to Socioeconomic Behavior,"
9617, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1996. "Statistical Mechanics Approaches to Socioeconomic Behavior," Working Papers 96-08-069, Santa Fe Institute.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1996. "Statistical Mechanics Approaches to Socioeconomic Behavior," NBER Technical Working Papers 0203, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian J Loasby, 1994. "Understanding Markets," Working Papers Series 94/4, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Ermoliev, Yuri & Kaniovski, Yuri, 1994. "Generalized urn schemes and technological dynamics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-19, January.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:iasawp:ir98025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.