Factors Affecting the Growth of Manufacturing Firms â€šÃ„Ã¬ Analysis of Growth Stages: A Case of German Firms
This paper focuses on factors that affect the growth of manufacturing firms in Germany. It addresses which factors might be needful and which factors might be helpful for the different growth stages of these firms. Most firms face turning points in their life course, and thus do not grow continuously. By using panel data on German manufacturing firms over the period 1992-2007, we analyse a sample of 278 enterprises. The criterion used for selecting the sample was that they belong to the category of manufacturing sector (NACE-2-digit industries), which are surveyed by the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW). It could be discovered that a set of firm specific factors such as export orientation, R&D activities, firm size and type of industry are more likely to affect the growth process of a firm. The results from regression analysis indicate that some indicators are related to the growth process of firms. So, it can be stated that some indicators might be needful or helpful for the growth of manufacturing firms.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coad, Alex & Rao, Rekha, 2008.
"Innovation and firm growth in high-tech sectors: A quantile regression approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 633-648, May.
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2007. "Innovation and Firm Growth in High-Tech Sectors: A Quantile Regression Approach," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 57, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2006. "Innovation and Firm Growth in High-Tech Sectors: A Quantile Regression Approach," LEM Papers Series 2006/18, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2004. "Export orientation, foreign affiliates, and the growth of Austrian manufacturing firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 411-423, July.
- Coad, Alex, 2007.
"Testing the principle of `growth of the fitter': The relationship between profits and firm growth,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 370-386, September.
- Alex Coad, 2005. "Testing the Principle of "Growth of the Fitter": The Relationship between Profits and Firm Growth," Emory Economics 0531, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2003.
"Testing Gibrat’s Law: Empirical Evidence from a Panel of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms,"
GEMF Working Papers
2003-07, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006. "Testing Gibrat's Law: Empirical Evidence from a Panel of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 65-81.
- Wan-Chun Liu & Chen-Min Hsu, 2006. "Financial Structure, Corporate Finance and Growth of Taiwan's Manufacturing Firms," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(01), pages 67-95.
- Delmar, Frederic & Davidsson, Per & Gartner, William B., 2003. "Arriving at the high-growth firm," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 189-216, March.
- Mickey Folkeringa & Andre van Stel & Joris Meijaard, 2005. "Innovation, strategic renewal and its effect on small firm performance," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-36, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Arne Bigsten & Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2007. "The Small, the Young, and the Productive: Determinants of Manufacturing Firm Growth in Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 813-840.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008.
"Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence,"
Working Paper Series
733, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Magnus Henrekson & Dan Johansson, 2010. "Gazelles as job creators: a survey and interpretation of the evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 227-244, September.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008. "Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence," Ratio Working Papers 117, The Ratio Institute.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth,"
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The impact of financial constraints on firm survival and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 135-149, April.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth," Sciences Po publications 2007-37, Sciences Po.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constaints on Firm Survival and Growth," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-37, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firm Survival and Growth," Post-Print halshs-00721058, HAL.
- Garnsey, E. & Stam, F.C. & Heffernan, P. & Hugo, O., 2003.
"New Firm Growth: Exploring Processes and Paths,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2003-096-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Adamos Adamou & Subash S, 2008.
"The Impact of R&D and Foreign Direct Investment on Firm Growth in Emerging-Developing Countries: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Industries,"
2008-037, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Adamos Adamou & Subash S, 2008. "The Impact of R&D and Foreign Direct Investment on Firm Growth in Emerging-Developing Countries : Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Industries," Development Economics Working Papers 22492, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Del Monte, Alfredo & Papagni, Erasmo, 2003. "R&D and the growth of firms: empirical analysis of a panel of Italian firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1003-1014, June.
- Almus, Matthias & Nerlinger, Eric A, 1999. "Growth of New Technology-Based Firms: Which Factors Matter?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-54, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p1386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.