Tracing the new economic geography of borders in Europe
Borders and border regions receive a special attention in the new post-1989 European architecture characterized by the processes of integration, transition and enlargement. What is actually happening to borders and border regions within this new environment? Are borders being abolished, weakened or are they being reproduced under a different pattern? What are the determinant factors which define the level and type of cross border interaction? This paper attempts to shed some light into the dynamics, perceptions and the new challenges concerning the “border phenomenon”. An empirical evidence is based on a survey at the Greek-Albanian-FYROM-Bulgarian border zone by analysing survey data. The survey, aims to evaluate a) the level and the type of cross-border interaction b) the obstacles and the limit of greater cross border interaction c) the existing perceptions and images of the other side of the borders d) the effectiveness of policies to stimulate interaction, e) the effects (positive and negative) of greater interaction on the border regions, f) the effects of EU enlargement on the c-b regions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joze P. Damijan & Crt Kostevc, 2002. "The Impact of European Integration on Adjustment Pattern of Regional Wages in Transition Countries: Testing Competitive Economic Geography Models," LICOS Discussion Papers 11802, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Mion, Giordano, 2004.
"Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-118, July.
- MION, Giordano, "undated". "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1839, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mion, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The Case of Italy," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Giordano Mion, 2004. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42663, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy," Working Papers 66, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy," SERIES 0006, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2002.
- MION, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers 2003015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Monfort, Philippe & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2003. "Integration, Regional Agglomeration and International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 3752, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2006. "Spatial Effects of European Integration: Do Border Regions Benefit above Average?," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 36(3), pages 254-278.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2004. "Spatial Effects of European Integration : Do Border Regions Benefit Above Average?," HWWA Discussion Papers 307, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Karoly Fazekas, 2003. "Effects of foreign direct investment on the performance of local labour markets - The case of Hungary," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0303, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Intra-National versus International Trade: How Stubborn are Nations in Global Integration?," NBER Working Papers 5531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitko Dimitrov & George Petrakos & Stoyan Totev & Maria Tsiapa, 2003. "Cross-Border Cooperation in Southeastern Europe," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(6), pages 5-25, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.