Migratory flows in Spain: a nonparametric and semiparametric approach
Labour market is characterized in Spain by a high persistence in unemployment rates. One of the main reasons of this persistence is the lack of labour mobility. The present paper addresses this issue empirically and analyses the determinants of migration in Spain from a regional standpoint. We used a panel data set that includes annual bilateral migratory flows between the 17 Spanish regions from 1995 through 2000. For this purpose, after a descriptive analysis, we develop a nonparametric approach to show the factors that influence in the magnitude of migratory flows. Later on, semiparametric estimation techniques are applied to provide more econometric evidence regarding migratory flows. Main conclusions are as follows: first, a high inertia in the migratory flows exists, that it is to say, migratory movements are very persistent; second, migratory flows mainly respond, though weakly, to the differentials of wages, unemployment rates and house prices between regions; third, migratory flows are also affected, to a great extent, by non economic factors. Keywords: migratory flows, regions, unemployment, wages. JEL classification: J61, R23, C14
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Namkee Ahn & Juan F. Jimeno & Emma García, . "Migration Willingness in Spain: Analysis of Temporal and Regional Differences," Working Papers 2002-21, FEDEA.
- Paolo Mauro & Antonio Spilimbergo, 1998. "How Do the Skilled and the Unskilled Respond to Regional Shocks? the Case of Spain," IMF Working Papers 98/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Bentolila, S, 1996.
"Sticky Labor in Spanish Regions,"
9616, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 2001.
"Learning About Migration Decisions from the Migrants: Using Complementary Datasets to Model Intra-Regional Migrations in Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Manuel Arellano & Olympia Bover, 2002. "Learning about migration decisions from the migrants: Using complementary datasets to model intra-regional migrations in Spain," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 357-380.
- Li, Qi & Stengos, Thanasis, 1996. "Semiparametric estimation of partially linear panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 389-397.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.