Staffing Subsidies and the Quality of Care in Nursing Homes
Concerns about the quality of state-financed nursing home care has led to the wide-scale adoption by states of pass-through subsidies, in which Medicaid reimbursement rates are directly tied to staffing expenditure. We examine the effects of Medicaid pass-through on nursing home staffing and quality of care by adapting a two-step FGLS method that addresses clustering and state-level temporal autocorrelation. We find that pass-through increases staffing by 4.4% in higher quality nursing homes and improves quality of care in lower quality nursing homes by an amount equivalent to one sixth the inter-quartile range of the quality distribution.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Williamstown, MA 01267|
Phone: 413 597 2476
Fax: 413 597 4045
Web page: http://econ.williams.edu
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janet Currie & Mehdi Farsi & W. Bentley Macleod, 2005.
"Cut to the Bone? Hospital Takeovers and Nurse Employment Contracts,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(3), pages 471-493, April.
- Janet Currie & Mehdi Farsi & W. Bentley MacLeod, 2003. "Cut to the Bone? Hospital Takeovers and Nurse Employment Contracts," NBER Working Papers 9428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John A. Nyman, 1988. "Excess Demand, the Percentage of Medicaid Patients, and the Quality of Nursing Home Care," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(1), pages 76-92.
- Grabowski, David C., 2001. "Medicaid reimbursement and the quality of nursing home care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 549-569, July.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Haizhen, 2014. "Revisiting the relationship between nurse staffing and quality of care in nursing homes: An instrumental variables approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 13-24.
- Gertler, Paul J., 1989. "Subsidies, quality, and the regulation of nursing homes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 33-52, February.
- Cawley, John & Grabowski, David C. & Hirth, Richard A., 2006. "Factor substitution in nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 234-247, March.
- Haizhen Lin, 2014. "Revisiting the relationship between nurse staffing and quality of care in nursing homes: An instrumental variables approach," Working Papers 2014-01, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- John Cawley & David C. Grabowski & Richard A. Hirth, 2004. "Factor Substitution and Unobserved Factor Quality in Nursing Homes," NBER Working Papers 10465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Generalized least squares inference in panel and multilevel models with serial correlation and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 670-694, October.
- Cohen, Joel W. & Spector, William D., 1996. "The effect of Medicaid reimbursement on quality of care in nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 23-48, February.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1978. "A Note on a Random Coefficients Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 793-96, October.
- David C. Grabowski, 2001. "Does an Increase in the Medicaid Reimbursement Rate Improve Nursing Home Quality?," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 56(2), pages S84-S93.
- Gertler, Paul J, 1992. "Medicaid and the Cost of Improving Access to Nursing Home Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 338-45, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wil:wileco:2013-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Sheppard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.