Manufacturing Productivity: Effects of Service Sector Innovations and Institutions
A major international transmission channel of productivity increases is trade in intermediate products and services. This paper analyses international rent spillovers at the industry level and for the first time investigates effects from the service sector in this international framework. The World Input-Output Database (WIOD) allows us to improve over the traditional approach of using trade in intermediates in the estimation of international spillovers by making use of input-output linkages between industries in different countries. Our results using this novel approach confirm the productivity effects from international manufacturing spillovers found in recent literature. As regards services, which provide a substantial component of the manufacturing sectors’ inputs, our results indicate significant positive productivity effects from innovations in this sector. Furthermore, we control for the effect of domestic institutions on productivity. A high quality of contract enforcement and property rights protection is found to foster firm development and increase productivity in the country. Last but not least educational institutions in the reporter country are an important determinant of productivity developments.
|Length:||15 pages including 5 Tables|
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," CID Working Papers 42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- repec:att:wimass:9620 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997.
"Trade and the Transmission of Technology,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013.
"A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010. "A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010," NBER Working Papers 15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1988.
"Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates Of Return, and Production In High-Tech Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
2554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 429-34, May.
- Jeffrey Bernstein & Ishaq Nadiri, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 88-01, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 1998.
"International R&D spillovers comment,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6233, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2001. "International R&D spillovers: a survey," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 169(169), pages 3-31.
- Falvey, Rod & Foster, Neil & Greenaway, David, 2007. "Relative backwardness, absorptive capacity and knowledge spillovers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 230-234, December.
- Sunil Kanwar & Robert Evenson, 2003.
"Does intellectual property protection spur technological change?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 55(2), pages 235-264, April.
- Sunil Kanwar & Robert E Evanson, 2004. "Does Intellectual Property Protection Spur Technological Change?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000000455, David K. Levine.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.