Soft Related Lending: A Tale of Two Korean Banks
In this paper, we present indirect evidence that the IMF’s insistence on foreign control of two large nationwide Korean banks in exchange for short-term support during the 1997 financial crisis helped restrain soft related lending practices. News signaling the likely sale of a bank to a foreign financial institution yields an average daily decrease of about 2% in the stock price of related borrowers. News indicating difficulty in finding an interested foreign investor generates an increase in the stock price of related borrowers of about the same magnitude. These signals have larger impacts on less-profitable, less-liquid, and more bank-dependent firms.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in the Journal of Banking and Finance|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PAC 123, 238 Church Street, Middletown, CT 06459-0007|
Web page: http://www.wesleyan.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2005.
"Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1144-1166, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2003. "Unnatural Selection: Perverse Incentives and the Misallocation of Credit in Japan," NBER Working Papers 9643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2003. "Related Lending," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 231-268.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2002. "Related Lending," NBER Working Papers 8848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael Porta & Florencio de & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2002. "Related Lending," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm268, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2006.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "Which Capitalism? Lessons Form The East Asian Crisis," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(3), pages 40-48.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "Which Capitalism? Lessons from the East Asian Crisis," CRSP working papers 486, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Laeven, Luc, 2001. "Insider Lending and Bank Ownership: The Case of Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 207-229, June.
- Lamoreaux, Naomi R., 1986. "Banks, Kinship, and Economic Development: The New England Case," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(03), pages 647-667, September.
- Cull, Robert & Matesova, Jana & Shirley, Mary, 2002. "Ownership and the Temptation to Loot: Evidence from Privatized Firms in the Czech Republic," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Yongil Jeon & Stephen Miller, 2004. "The effect of the Asian financial crisis on the performance of Korean nationwide banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 351-360.
- Yongil Jeon & Stephen M. Miller, 2002. "The Effect of the Asian Financial Crisis on the Performance of Korean Nationwide Banks," Working papers 2002-32, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Kang, Jun-Koo & Lim, Chan-Woo, 2002. "The value of durable bank relationships: evidence from Korean banking shocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-214, May.
- Djankov, Simeon & Jindra, Jan & Klapper, Leora F., 2005. "Corporate valuation and the resolution of bank insolvency in East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2095-2118, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)