The Costs and Benefits of Euro-sation in Central-Eastern Europe Before or Instead of EMU Membership
Countries unable or unwilling to join a Monetary Union can partly replicate membership effects through either a Currency Board or formal replacement of the domestic currency by the currency of the Union. Schemes of this kind have been introduced recently in Transition Economies. The net balance of costs and benefits involved, for the country and the common currency area, are shown to be an empirical question, depending on a number of conditions and primarily on the degree of monetary, real, and institutional convergence already achieved beforehand. Positive net advantages may derive from dollar/Euro-isation but should not be taken for granted.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mundell, Robert, 2000. "Currency Areas, Volatility and Intervention," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 281-299, May.
- Korhonen, Iikka, 1999.
"Currency boards in the Baltic countries : What have we learned?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
9/1999, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Iikka Korhonen, 2000. "Currency Boards in the Baltic Countries: What Have We Learned?," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 25-46.
- Korhonen, Iikka, 1999. "Currency boards in the Baltic countries : What have we learned?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/1999, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Heliodoro Temprano-Arroyo & Robert A. Feldman, 1999. "Selected transition and Mediterranean countries: an institutional primer on EMU and EU accession," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(3), pages 741-805, November.
- Grzegorz W. Kolodko, 2000. "Globalization and Catching-Up; From Recession to Growth in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 00/100, .
- repec:idb:wpaper:418 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2000.
"Why Do Countries Float the Way They Float?,"
Research Department Publications
4205, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 2000. "The Pros and Cons of Full Dollarization," IMF Working Papers 00/50, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2000-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.