Banking sector competition in Russia
The Russian banking sector includes approximately 1,000 banks, but is it competitive? This paper analyzes bank competition in Russia during 2002-2008. The authors examine indicators of concentration and contestability, and compute non-structural measures of competition. They compare competition in Russia to that in Brazil, China, and India, and contrast competition across different groups of banks within Russia. Contestability in Russia is obstructed by uneven supervisory practices and an unclear exit process. Non-structural measures reveal that banks in Russia are less competitive than those in Brazil. Within Russia, large banks and state-owned banks exert more market power than the smaller and privately-owned institutions. Finally, business-oriented banks are more competitive than those concentrating on lending to individuals.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Micco, Alejandro, 2007.
"Concentration and foreign penetration in Latin American banking sectors: Impact on competition and risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1633-1647, June.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6514, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Research Department Publications 4353, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Business School Working Papers cinco, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Carbó, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquín & Molyneux, Philip, 2009. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 115-134, February.
- Carbo, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquin & Molyneux, Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," MPRA Paper 15258, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & David B. Humphrey & Joaquin Maudos & Philip Molyneux, 2006. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Proceedings 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Humphrey David & Carbó Valverde Santiago & Maudos Villarroya Joaquín & Molyneux Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," Working Papers 201036, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Zuzana Fungácová & Laura Solanko & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Market power in the russian banking industry," International Economics, CEPII research center, issue 124, pages 127-146.
- Fungáčová, Zuzana & Solanko, Laura & Weill, Laurent, 2010. "Market power in the Russian banking industry," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Zuzana Fungacova & Laura Solanko & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Market Power in the Russian Banking Industry," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-09, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Semih Yildirim & George C. Philippatos, 2003. "Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets," Finance 0310004, EconWPA.
- Juan Fernández de Guevara & Joaquín Maudos & Francisco Pérez, 2005. "Market Power in European Banking Sectors," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 109-137, April.
- Francisco Pérez García & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Juan Francisco Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics, 2002. "Market Power In European Banking Sectors," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Fernandez de Guevara, Juan & Maudos, Joaquin & Perez, Francisco, 2007. "Integration and competition in the European financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 26-45, February.
- Francisco Pérez García & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Juan Francisco Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics, 2003. "Integration And Competition In The European Financial Markets," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.