Public finance, trade, and development : the Chilean experience
This paper analyzes the role of public finance and trade policies in the adjustment experience of Chile over the past 15 years. The purpose is to first review the Chilean public sector and trade reforms, and then to examine their role in the economic development of Chile. The paper is divided into six sections. After the Introduction, Section II presents a brief summary of the conditions in 1973 on the eve of the shift in Chilean policy. Section III focuses on the main policy reforms introduced by the military government over the 1973-82 period. Section IV takes a detailed look at Chile's public finance and trade reforms. The effect of the reforms on aggregate incentives and on the macroeconomic adjustment is the subject of Section V. Lastly, Section VI presents the following main conclusions. First, liberalization and stabilization reforms succeeded until late 1978 in slowing down inflation. Second, the reduction of a large public sector deficit required strong action. Third, the elimination of a large public sector deficit is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the control of inflation. Finally, once the macroeconomic mistakes of the late 1970's and early 1980's were corrected, Chile recovered its growth and reduced inflation.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley, 1986. "Issues in Medium-term Macroeconomic Adjustment," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 163-82, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & de Melo, Jaime & Tybout, James, 1986. "What Went Wrong with the Recent Reforms in the Southern Cone," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(3), pages 607-40, April.
- Corbo, Vittorio & de Melo, Jaime, 1987. "Lessons from the Southern Cone Policy Reforms," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 111-42, July.
- Jere H. Behrman, 1976. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Chile," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number behr76-1, March.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Juan Carlos de Pablo, 1990. "The Process of High Inflation," NBER Chapters, in: Developing Country Debt and Economic Performance, Volume 2: Country Studies—Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Mexico, pages 77-91 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.