Urban futures in the era of the e-economy
The wide use of information and communication technology leads to structural changes in our economy and society. The impacts of ICTs embrace not only a faster and denser communication but also a reorganisation of values chains, firms, labour relations and management structures. In this paper various actual and potential impacts on the function of cities are identified and discussed. This is based on a scan of the literature and empirical research of one particular value chain, i.e. that of financial services. Attention is given to customer driven production, customer services, desintermediation and re-intermediation, new e-firms and e-webs of firms, and flexibility of work places. A special focus is on different forms of knowledge and concomitant constraints in electronic communication. The paper concludes with a number of questions and some brief policy recommendations.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A Gillespie & H Williams, 1988. "Telecommunications and the Reconstruction of Regional Comparative Advantage," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 20(10), pages 1311-1321, October.
- Dussart, Christian, 2000. "Internet: the one-plus-eight 're-volutions'," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 386-397, August.
- G Duranton, 1999.
"Distance, Land, and Proximity: Economic Analysis and the Evolution of Cities,"
Environment and Planning A,
SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(12), pages 2169-2188, December.
- G Duranton, 1999. "Distance, land, and proximity: economic analysis and the evolution of cities," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(12), pages 2169-2188, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Are Cities Dying?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 139-160, Spring.
- Niels Boje Groth, 2000. "Urban Systems between Policy and Geography," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 571-580.
- A Gillespie & H Williams, 1988. "Telecommunications and the reconstruction of regional comparative advantage," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(10), pages 1311-1321, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vua:wpaper:2001-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.