Tracking error with minimum guarantee constraints
In recent years the popularity of indexing has greatly increased in financial markets and many different families of products have been introduced. Often these products also have a minimum guarantee in the form of a minimum rate of return at specified dates or a minimum level of wealth at the end of the horizon. Period of declining stock market returns together with low interest rate levels on Treasury bonds make it more difficult to meet these liabilities. We formulate a dynamic asset allocation problem which takes into account the conflicting objectives of a minimum guaranteed return and of an upside capture of the risky asset returns. To combine these goals we formulate a double tracking error problem using asymmetric tracking error measures in the multistage stochastic programming framework.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++39 041 2346910-6911
Fax: ++ 39 041 5221756
Web page: http://www.dma.unive.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muermann, Alexander & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Volkman, Jacqueline M., 2006. "Regret, portfolio choice, and guarantees in defined contribution schemes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 219-229, October.
- Hiroshi Konno & Hiroaki Yamazaki, 1991. "Mean-Absolute Deviation Portfolio Optimization Model and Its Applications to Tokyo Stock Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 519-531, May.
- El Karoui, Nicole & Jeanblanc, Monique & Lacoste, Vincent, 2005. "Optimal portfolio management with American capital guarantee," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 449-468, March.
- Griselda Deelstra & Martino Grasselli & Pierre-François Koehl, 2004. "Optimal design of the guarantee for defined contribution funds," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7602, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Consiglio, Andrea & Saunders, David & Zenios, Stavros A., 2006. "Asset and liability management for insurance products with minimum guarantees: The UK case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 645-667, February.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alex & Teplá, Lucie, 2005.
"Risk Management with Benchmarking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5187, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2006. "Portfolio selection with a drawdown constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3171-3189, November.
- Sørensen, Carsten, 1999. "Dynamic Asset Allocation and Fixed Income Management," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 513-531, December.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Zhou, Zhongquan, 1996. " Equilibrium Analysis of Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1379-1403, September.
- Diana Barro & Elio Canestrelli, 2005. "Tracking Error: a multistage portfolio model," GE, Growth, Math methods 0510012, EconWPA.
- Rudolf, Markus & Wolter, Hans-Jurgen & Zimmermann, Heinz, 1999. "A linear model for tracking error minimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-103, January.
- Brennan, M.J. & Solanki, R., 1981. "Optimal Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 279-300, September.
- Griselda Deelstra & Martino Grasselli & Pierre-François Koehl, 2003. "Optimal investment strategies in the presence of a minimum guarantee," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7598, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpaper:172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.