Exact Asymptotic Goodness-of-Fit Testing For Discrete Circular Data, With Applications
We show that the full asymptotic null distribution for Watson’s 2N U statistic, modified for discrete data, can be computed simply and exactly by standard methods. Previous approximate quantiles for the uniform multinomial case are found to be accurate. More extensive quantiles are presented for this distribution, as well as for the beta-binomial distribution and for the distributions associated with “Benford’s Laws”. A simulation experiment compares the power of the modified 2N U test with that of Kuiper’s VN test. In addition, four illustrative empirical applications are provided. In addition, four illustrative empirical applications are provided to illustrate the usefulness of the 2N U test. (This paper supercedes EWP0607.)
|Date of creation:||12 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balanzario, Eugenio P. & Sánchez-Ortiz, Jorge, 2010. "Sufficient conditions for Benford's law," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1713-1719, December.
- De Ceuster, Marc J. K. & Dhaene, Geert & Schatteman, Tom, 1998. "On the hypothesis of psychological barriers in stock markets and Benford's Law," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 263-279, September.
- George Judge & Laura Schechter, 2009. "Detecting Problems in Survey Data Using Benford’s Law," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(1), pages -.
- Ocean Fan Lu & David Giles, 2010.
"Benford's Law and psychological barriers in certain eBay auctions,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(10), pages 1005-1008.
- Ocean Fan Lu & David E. A. Giles, 2006. "Benford's Law and Psychological Barriers in Certain eBay Auctions," Econometrics Working Papers 0606, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Hunt, Daniel L. & Cheng, Cheng & Pounds, Stanley, 2009. "The beta-binomial distribution for estimating the number of false rejections in microarray gene expression studies," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1688-1700, March.
- David Giles, 2007.
"Benford's law and naturally occurring prices in certain ebaY auctions,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 157-161.
- David E. Giles, 2005. "Benford’s Law and Naturally Occurring Prices in Certain ebaY Auctions," Econometrics Working Papers 0505, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Canessa, Enrique, 2003. "Theory of analogous force on number sets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 328(1), pages 44-52.
- Shao, Lijing & Ma, Bo-Qiang, 2010. "The significant digit law in statistical physics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(16), pages 3109-3116.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicewp:1201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.