The Structure and Performance of the World Market in a Cobb-Douglas Example
In an international trading economy where countries set tariffs strategically, modeled using a Cobb-Douglas example, this paper studies the relationship between the structure and the performance of the world market. Using new results from monotone comparative statics in a Shapley-Shubik market game, replication of such an international trading economy is studied. It is shown that, as the economy is replicated, the equilibrium converges monotonically towards the equilibrium of a competitive equilibrium model of international trade. The distributional implications of replication are also evaluated.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staiger, Robert W., 1995.
"International rules and institutions for trade policy,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 29, pages 1495-1551
- Robert W. Staiger, 1994. "International Rules and Institutions for Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 4962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bagwell,K. & Mavroidis,P.C. & Staiger,R.W., 2003.
"The case for auctioning countermeasures in the WTO,"
14, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kyle Bagwell & Petros C. Mavroidis & Robert W. Staiger, 2003. "The Case for Auctioning Countermeasures in the WTO," NBER Working Papers 9920, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petros C. Mavroidis & Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2004. "The case for auctioning countermeasures in the WTO," Discussion Papers 0405-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2004. "The Economics of the World Trading System," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524341, June.
- BLOCH, Francis & GHOSAL, Sayantan, 1994.
"Stable Trading Structures in Bilateral Oligopolies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bloch, Francis & Ghosal, Sayantan, 1997. "Stable Trading Structures in Bilateral Oligopolies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 368-384, June.
- Amir, Rabah & Lambson, Val E, 2000.
"On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 235-54, April.
- Rabah Amir, 2000. "On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1475, Econometric Society.
- Rabah Amir & Val E. Lambson, 1998. "On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- AMIR, Rabah & LAMBSON, Val, 1999. "On the effects of entry in Cournot markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1999059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Syropoulos, Constantinos, 2002.
"Optimum Tariffs and Retaliation Revisited: How Country Size Matters,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 707-27, July.
- Constantinos Syropoulos, 2002. "Optimum Tariffs and Retaliation Revisited: How Country Size Matters," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 707-727.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982. "Tariff Protection and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 517, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:van:wpaper:0623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.