Exact Scenario Simulation for Selected Multi-dimensional Stochastic Processes
Accurate scenario simulation methods for solutions of multi-dimensional stochastic differential equations find application in stochastic analysis, the statistics of stochastic processes and many other areas, for instance, in finance. They have been playing a crucial role as standard models in various areas and dominate often the communication and thinking in a particular field of application, even that they may be too simple for more advanced tasks. Various discrete time simulation methods have been developed over the years. However, the simulation of solutions of some stochastic differential equations can be problematic due to systematic errors and numerical instabilities. Therefore, it is valuable to identify multi-dimensional stochastic differential equations with solutions that can be simulated exactly. This avoids several of the theoretical and practical problems encountered by those simulation methods that use discrete time approximations. This paper provides a survey of methods for the exact simulation of paths of some multi-dimensional solutions of stochastic differential equations including Ornstein-Uhlenbeck, square root, squared Bessel, Wishart and Levy type processes.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Craddock & Eckhard Platen, 2003. "Symmetry Group Methods for Fundamental Solutions and Characteristic Functions," Research Paper Series 90, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Nicola Bruti-Liberati & Eckhard Platen, 2008. "Strong Predictor-Corrector Euler Methods for Stochastic Differential Equations," Research Paper Series 222, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Roger Lord & Remmert Koekkoek & Dick van Dijk, 2006.
"A Comparison of Biased Simulation Schemes for Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-046/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 07 Jun 2007.
- Roger Lord & Remmert Koekkoek & Dick Van Dijk, 2010. "A comparison of biased simulation schemes for stochastic volatility models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 177-194.
- Eckhard Platen & Lei Shi, 2008. "On the Numerical Stability of Simulation Methods for SDES," Research Paper Series 234, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Alfonsi Aurélien, 2005. "On the discretization schemes for the CIR (and Bessel squared) processes," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 11(4), pages 355-384, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.