The Effect of Unions on Minority Representation in Building Trades Apprenticeship Programs
This paper uses program-level data to compare the relative representation of Blacks and Latinos in the construction industry apprenticeship programs organized with and without trade union participation. Econometric analysis shows that there are significant differences between the Black and Latino experiences. The Black share is higher in union-management joint programs but the Latino share appears to be higher in the unilateral employer programs. It is also observed that while both groups have lower representation in the higher-status (electrical and mechanical) and higher-paying occupations, the Latino share is more sensitive to earnings.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Labor Research, Summer 2005, Vol.26 No.3, pp.87-99|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1645 E. Central Campus Dr. Front, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9300|
Phone: (801) 581-7481
Fax: (801) 585-5649
Web page: http://economics.utah.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cihan Bilginsoy, 2003. "The Hazards of Training: Attrition and Retention in Construction Industry Apprenticeship Programs," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(1), pages 54-67, October.
- Polachek, Solomon William, 1981. "Occupational Self-Selection: A Human Capital Approach to Sex Differences in Occupational Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(1), pages 60-69, February.
- Ray Marshall & Vernon M. Briggs Jr., 1967. "Negro Participation in Apprenticeship Programs," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 2(1), pages 51-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uta:papers:2003_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.