Market opportunities and threats to the U.S. pork industry posed by traceability systems
This paper demonstrates that the U.S. pork industry is lagging its principal international competitors and major international customers in terms of developing programs for traceability, transparency, and assurance (TTA). The primary areas of weakness in U.S. TTA programs are at the producer level and in the area of providing consumers quality assurance regarding inputs used in producing pork products. We conclude that the U.S. pork industry may diminish its competitive advantage in world pork markets if it fails to enhance its TTA programs.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1996. "Transaction costs and slaughter cattle procurement: Processors' selection of supply channels," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 509-523.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Li, Jau-Rong & Bailey, DeeVon, 1999.
"Factor and Product Market Tradability and Equilibrium in Pacific Rim Pork Industries,"
127696, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Li, Jau-Rong & Bailey, DeeVon, 2000. "Factor And Product Market Tradability And Equilibrium In Pacific Rim Pork Industries," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Capmany, Carlos & Hooker, Neal H. & Ozuna, Teofilo, Jr. & van Tilburg, Aad, 2000. "Iso 9000 -- A Marketing Tool For U.S. Agribusiness," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(01).
- Latouche, K. & Rainelli, P. & Vermersch, D., 1998. "Food safety issues and the BSE scare: some lessons from the French case," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 347-356, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usu:wpaper:2001-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.