The interaction between natural resources- and physical capital-intensive sectors in a behavioral model of economic growth
In this paper we examine the role played by environmental externalities in shaping the dynamics of a small open economy with two sectors (a farming sector and an industrial one), free inter-sectoral labor mobility and heterogeneous agents (workers/farmers and industrial entrepreneurs). We find that the stability properties of the equilibria and their features in terms of environmental preservation, welfare outcomes and sectoral allocation of labor are sensitive to the relative level of carrying capacity with respect to the rate of environmental pressure of the economic activities. We show that an endogenous process of industrialization associated to a reduction in farmers/workers’ welfare can emerge
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2011.
"Investement inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy,"
Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena
0311, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2013. "Investment inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy," Department of Economics University of Siena 670, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2008.
"Distributive impact of structural change: does environmental degradation matter?,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2008_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Antoci, Angelo & Russu, Paolo & Ticci, Elisa, 2009. "Distributive impact of structural change: Does environmental degradation matter?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 266-278, December.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1990.
"Agricultural Productivity, Comparative Advantage, and Economic Growth,"
934, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1992. "Agricultural productivity, comparative advantage, and economic growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 317-334, December.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1991. "Agricultural Productivity, Comparative Advantage and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3606, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 2012. "Resource abundance, growth and welfare: A Schumpeterian perspective," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 142-155.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2010. "Poverty, development, and environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 635-660, December.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Smulders, Sjak, 2012. "Sustainability and substitution of exhaustible natural resources," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 536-549.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Anriquez, Gustavo & Gulati, Sumeet, 2007. "Structural change and sustainable development," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 307-322, May.
- Antoci, Angelo & Russu, Paolo & Ticci, Elisa, 2012. "Environmental externalities and immiserizing structural changes in an economy with heterogeneous agents," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 80-91.
- Antoci, Angelo & Russu, Paolo & Ticci, Elisa, 2008. "Structural change, economic growth and environmental dynamics with heterogeneous agents," MPRA Paper 13668, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reddy, V. Ratna & Behera, Bhagirath, 2006. "Impact of water pollution on rural communities: An economic analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 520-537, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:661. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.