Conflicts of Interest and the Role of Financial Advisors in M&A Transactions: Empirical Evidence from the Private Equity Industry
Financial advisors play an important role in M&A transactions. Private equity (PE) firms, in turn, are highly sought-after clients for financial advisors as they promise lucrative business due to their frequent engagements in acquisitions. We find that PE firms pay, on average, less for portfolio companies when their sell-side advisor has worked for the acquiring PE firm on the buy-side in past transactions. We refer to this as indirect relationships and argue that conflicts of interest be-tween financial advisors and their clients are the main driver for our results. Strategic acquirers do not benefit from these previous indirect relationships altogether.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2015|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +41 71 243 40 11|
Fax: +41 71 243 40 40
Web page: http://www.unisg.ch/de/universitaet/schools/finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Braun, Reiner & Engel, Nico, 2011. "Value creation and pricing in buyouts: Empirical evidence from Europe and North America," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 146-161.
- Fidrmuc, Jana P. & Roosenboom, Peter & Paap, Richard & Teunissen, Tim, 2012.
"One size does not fit all: Selling firms to private equity versus strategic acquirers,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 828-848.
- : Jana P. Fidrmuc & Peter Roosenboom & Richard Paap & Tim Teunissen, 2012. "One size Does Not Fit All: Selling Firms to Private Equity Versus Strategic Acquirers," Working Papers wpn12-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Lily Hua Fang, 2005. "Investment Bank Reputation and the Price and Quality of Underwriting Services," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2729-2761, December.
- Chahine, Salim & Ismail, Ahmad, 2009. "Premium, merger fees and the choice of investment banks: A simultaneous analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 159-177, May.
- Ahmad Ismail, 2010. "Are good financial advisors really good? The performance of investment banks in the M&A market," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 411-429, November.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Sun, Xian, 2014. "Does relationship matter? The choice of financial advisors," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 22-47.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Sun, Xian, 2012. "Does relationship matter? : The choice of financial advisors," Research Discussion Papers 28/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Viral V. Acharya & Oliver F. Gottschalg & Moritz Hahn & Conor Kehoe, 2013. "Corporate Governance and Value Creation: Evidence from Private Equity," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 368-402.
- Raghavendra Rau, P., 2000. "Investment bank market share, contingent fee payments, and the performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 293-324, May.
- Song, Weihong & Wei, Jie (Diana) & Zhou, Lei, 2013. "The value of “boutique” financial advisors in mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 94-114.
- Demiroglu, Cem & James, Christopher M., 2010. "The role of private equity group reputation in LBO financing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 306-330, May.
- Bargeron, Leonce L. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, René M. & Zutter, Chad J., 2008. "Why do private acquirers pay so little compared to public acquirers?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 375-390, September.
- Bargeron, Leonce & Schlingemann, Frederick & Stulz, Rene & Zutter, Chad, 2007. "Why Do Private Acquirers Pay So Little Compared to Public Acquirers?," Working Paper Series 2007-8, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Leonce Bargeron & Frederik Schlingemann & Rene M. Stulz & Chad Zutter, 2007. "Why Do Private Acquirers Pay So Little Compared to Public Acquirers?," NBER Working Papers 13061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrey Golubov & Dimitris Petmezas & Nickolaos G. Travlos, 2012. "When It Pays to Pay Your Investment Banker: New Evidence on the Role of Financial Advisors in M&As," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 67(1), pages 271-312, February.
- Madura, Jeff & Ngo, Thanh & Viale, Ariel M., 2012. "Why do merger premiums vary across industries and over time?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 49-62.
- Shourun Guo & Edith S. Hotchkiss & Weihong Song, 2011. "Do Buyouts (Still) Create Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 479-517, April.
- Linda Allen & Julapa Jagtiani & Stavros Peristiani & Anthony Saunders, 2002. "The role of bank advisors in mergers and acquisitions," Staff Reports 143, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Servaes, Henri & Zenner, Marc, 1996. "The Role of Investment Banks in Acquisitions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 787-815.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M., 1990. "Investment-banking contracts in tender offers : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 209-232. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:sfwpfi:2015:15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Frei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.